Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
June 7th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 5th June 2011 contd

We popped across the road to the restaurant Perfecto as it had free wifi. We had some sandwiches and drinks while catching up with the outside world.

Then back to the room and that was us finished for the day.

Monday 6th June 2011

The room is pretty sound proofed but there was some noises during the night from the surrounding rooms. Both of us managed to get back to sleep each time.

We appear to be next to the car hire car wash and also the smell of cooking meat from the gyros cafe nearby adds to the ambience of the place.

The maid tried to get in the room at 9 o'clock, but neither of us had stirred by that time so she was shooed away.

We did amble out about 1030 for a further explore of Mykonos. First stop was a cafe across the road called Point for a coffee to begin the day, which was reasonably priced.

The alleyways and streets are fascinating and hold a myriad of shops, cafes, restaurants and churches.

It seems everywhere you go there are churches, in one little street there were three next door to each other side by side. Must be a lot of guilt in the town is all I can say.

The shops exhibit the whole range, from tourist to the designer shops. Cartier, Chopard, DKNY, Rolex, are some examples among the many. In fact there are probably more of that style than on Santorini.

We had some lunch in the Mykonos harbour area at Gelaro's restaurant taking the opportunity to sit and watch the many people go by. Lunch was expensive but not unexpected in the particular location we had chosen.

Then on to our next task which was to sort our next few days out. Tomorrow, Tuesday 7th June, we are planning to visit Delos, the next door island which is apparently an archaeological treasure and the reason we really came to Mykonos and then our next move is on Wednesday 8th June to Syros.

We quickly found a booking office and have booked our ferry for 1415 hours from Mykonos to Syros on the Blue Star Ithaki, Wednesday 8th June at a cost of €8.50 each.

Our only issue at the moment is that this leaves from the Neo Limani (New port) and this is further away and we need to work out how to get there.

We have also paid for our tickets for Delos tomorrow at €17 each not including entrance fee on the island. There are several crossing times which we will see when we get up tomorrow.

Our amble continued browsing the shops as we went along and returned to the room at 1500.

Mykonos has quite a reputation and watching the variety of people in literally all shapes and sizes wandering around the place is very interesting.

We went out at 7 o'clock and visit the Point cafe again to do some surfing. Pat has found us some accommodation on Syros, so we are set up there.

We were next headed for something to eat and ended up in an Italian restaurant we had seen earlier which looked very nice. We had onion soup, saganaki (fried cheese) chicken with rigatoni in a cream and ham sauce and a pepperoni pizza with drinks €61.50. The restaurant had two floors in a old Mykonos style house therefore not tall and those eating upstairs had to mind their head, some of the tables were such that you couldn't stand up at them, you slid in and that was you.

Then an amble back to the room.

Tuesday 7th June 2011

We had decided to catch the 1000 o'clock tour boat to Delos and didn't stir until 0910 so the morning got off to a flying start.

We got ready in quick time and made our way to the Mykonos port in time for the boat.

We went over on the Orca along with several parties from the cruise ships. There are two cruise ships at tender and one in the new port today.

The journey over is approx 45 minutes and we all duly disembarked. The tour groups got themselves organised and headed off just leaving the independents to pay the entrance fee which is €5 each.

We then started to tour the site, which is quite magnificent, basically it is an old town that was the centre of things at one time and then people left. What this has allowed is for most of the site not to have been built over and destroyed in later generations.

The island hasn't been left entirely alone and some of the masonry was borrowed for other things over time but a lot things are still around.

We stopped for a break outside the museum to eat some crisps and stuff we had brought with us at 1 o'clock.

The museum is the usual Greek style, absolutely dreadful, with very little information. The museum is in awful state with part of the ceiling falling down in places.

Then continued on around this very large site seeing lots of lizards.

The last boat was at 1500 and after the 1330 had gone the site was much more peaceful with most people having left.

There were the usual last two passengers late for the boat and we went back on the Margarita X a smaller boat.

We returned to Mykonos port bought a few things on the way back and went to the room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb