Ahhh.. Mykonos...


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey all!

Mykonos est tres belle! It's amazing here. Picture perfect Greece. We both agree that when you think of Greece, this is what you think of. Sorry no photos today, we forgot to bring our camera cord and we are in a little cafe lost somewhere in the streets. We might head to the beach later today, but its already 4:30 and we have had a TON of sun already. But we are going to rent a quad soon (safer than those crazy scooters) and maybe we will jet around the island to find some beaches for tomorrow. We found a nice Catholic church here for mass tomorrow night at 7:30, we can't wait! It's white and with the blue dome overlooking the Aegean.

So yesterday we took the ferry to Mykonos. As soon as we arrived our pension's owner was waiting for us with transportation to our hostel. We have a private room overlooking the sea and the beach is down 110 steps (yes we counted...). We dumped our gear, threw on bathing suits and ran to the beach. The water was chilly (I have pictures of Dennis freezing in it) and it was windy but we both fell asleep on our towels. Then we showered and took the bus into town. It's so picturesque. We had dinner by the waterfront, walked around town, bought Momma Andrews a gift, and bought our ferry tickets for Delos and Naxos.

THen we THOUGHT (because the bus driver who clearly does not understand English told us) that we could catch the last bus back to San Stefanos (where we are staying) at 8. No... not happening. THe bus left at 7:30 and not even from where he said it would. So we walked... amidst the scary scooters, cars, and windy roads up to our hostel. But we made it home alive and singing. We grabbed a quick snack and went to bed.

Kim forgot to tell you that 5 minutes before the bus arrived on our way into town that she forgot her visa and money up in the room. And of course we were at the bottom of the 110 steps. So I ran all the way back up grabbed it and as I was running down, the bus arrived so I ran as fast as I could down the stairs covered in sand to catch the bus. I made it but it was tiring and a little scary. That would have been a long way to fall if I had slipped. But it was all worth it because Kim called me her knight.

Today...

So we woke up and had breakfast with Mama. That is what we call the owner of the pension. She then drove us into town for free, she is so nice. Nothing is open here at 9 in the morning. We caught the 9 am ferry to Delos, this super cool island that is full of archaelogical history. Kim told me the entire story about it, which is cool but I don't know if any of you are interested. The low down is this, it was a center of power and wealth for the Athenians and the entire world really. We walked all over the island checking out the ruins. We even climbed Mount Kythnos to the temple of Zeus and Athena. It is no wonder the Greek Gods died out, it was far too steep and hard of a walk to go and worship. People probably just got lazy...

We were both feeling the heat so we needed to keep lots of fluids in us. It is crazy warm today. Not sure how hot but hot. We grabbed the ferry back into town where Kim went to sleep again hiding from the cold sea breeze. It is so funny to go from such crazy hot weather on the islands to being on a ferry where the wind is so cold that you need to bundle up with hoodies and pants.

We then wandered the white washed streets to find us a cool little restaurant to have some lunch at. We found this little one inside of town and sat down. They gave us a couch to sit on which was sooo nice. And it was in the shade so we could get out of the sun. It was getting pretty hot on our little heads. They were super helpful and they gave us maps and told us their favorite beaches on the island. THey were really nice people. We then went to check out the infamous windmills of Mykonos. Very cool. And we found the church at the same time. Bonus. Mass is tomorrow night at...oh, I forgot that Kim already mentioned that, nevermind. ANd then we came to this little internet place to write to all of you.

We are going to go and rent a quad now so that we can tour the island and take ourselves to some pretty little beaches.

We hope everyone is doing awesome. We are having an amazing time. We miss and love you all.

Take it easy and God Bless!

Dennis and Kim

Advertisement



5th May 2007

Sounds wonderful!
Dad's home, and it's so good to have him home. We are so jealous, sounds absolutely next to heaven, except for the stairs. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time too. I'm glad you are staying with someone who is looking out for you two. Can't wait for the next entry and some pictures, it seems so strange to think that it was less than a week ago that we left you at the airport and then to see you two in front of some ancient greek ruin, seems surreal. Greg update: he has an apartment and a new phone in Vancouver, seems to be doing well and content, but you know him pretty laid back.
5th May 2007

Happy to hear
Hi guys glad to hear you are having a wonderful time, I'm jealous as Greek sounds awsume, Take Care and don't run down stairs ans break a leg Denis Love Memere, P.S. enjoy the weather here its 0 and pouring rain for 2 days
7th May 2007

Sounds fantastic!
Hey Guys!! Your blog is so cool to read, it all sounds positively amazing! A little harrowing perhaps, with Dennis doing a vicious version of sand-boarding down the stairs, but sounds tres cool all the things you're getting to see and do! And Kim, just to let you know, Elaine needs you at those hockey games to keep her in line.... lol Prayers are with you!! nate

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb