Kos 2


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Kos
January 13th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday, 12th January, 2009.

We went to the reception area at eight thirty and ordered some drinks and coffee.

We connected to the internet and updated the blog. After this we went for a short stroll in the vicinity. We bought some pastries and went back the hotel. The town was quiet.

We ate the pastries when we got back and then retired for the evening.

Tuesday, 13th January, 2009.

A bright start to the day, a little cloudy and windy.

Pat went down for breakfast and for a change I joined her after a little while, I had bacon and eggs, Pat just had some rolls.

We decided to walk along the front and walked up to the Marina, which is about tqo kilometers to make a guess. We went into the Marina and had a look around the yachts and boats. Pat didn't remember it being last time we were here. The road up to the marina is full of Hotels and Bars. The road is wide, with good walkways and doesn't feel all crammed in.

After the marina we walked back via a parallel road to the front to see different things. Initially there were houses, but the nearer the town, the more shops.

In the town and we had a couple of things we needed to make enquiries about. We are trying to make plans for our next move and we needed to find out boat times and see availability.

We popped into a Travel Agency and they were very helpful.

The town square was nearby, so we went to a Cafe, “Mes sth Mesh”, and had a Nes coffee and a filter coffee.

It was again extremely pleasant, the sun was shining again. There were kids chasing pigeons in the square, like they seem to do the whole world over.

It was about twelve thirty by now, and I asked Pat what she would like to do for the rest of the day, and she said she would like to go for a drive.

So straight back to the car at the Hotel and we headed off in the general direction of Tigaki.

We had a holiday in studio apartments in Tigaki five years ago, and thought it would be nice to revisit.

We drove sedately along, taking in the scenery. You can see Turkey, very easily from here. The Dolphin type vessels do the journey across in twenty minutes.

We found the signs to Tigaki and in no time we were there. As we drove in we recognised some of the places straight away. We had taken a walk on the route that we drove in on, so it was familiar to us.

We arrived at the head of the town, which has a square, with a road heading inland, with lots of bars, restaurants, hire car paces, supermarkets and the usual tourist paraphenalia.

The only thing was there were no people and the whole town was shut. The only thing moving was a stray dog. I had it in mind to suggest to Pat that we have something to eat here. But it wasn't to be.

It was the strangest contrast that we have encountered from somewhere that we have been previously.

The town has obviously grown through tourists, but nothing supports it in the winter.

We did see some cars and a guy clearing some leaves as we drove away from the front, but it was like a ghost town.

We found the apartments, which were of course all shut up and the nearby supermarket we had used, was also closed.

As we drove slowly back, we tried to remember which restaurants we had eaten in and going over our various memories.

We then left Tigaki and drove on to Marmari, which was also very quiet. We headed back to Kos, got some petrol on the way at €0.90 per litre.

We found a Carrefour supermarket on the way and stopped for a couple of things. Then back to the Hotel, parked the car and walked up to town for some lunch.

As we walked we were invited into a restaurant called the Museum Restaurant, he said it was nice and warm inside. So we went in and they had a buffet set up, for main courses from which we each chose.

We had a Greek salad to start, and then a meatball soup, and a pasticio (like a lasagne). The food was great and with drinks came to €21.30. We would eat here again.

Then slowly back to the hotel and arrived back at four o'clock.








Advertisement



Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb