Kos to Bodrum


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Kos » Kos
June 10th 2015
Published: June 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Kos, the home of Hippocrates, site of an ancient hospital (the Asklepieion), and a quick, visa-free way to go to the coast of Turkey. The harbor is filled with local fishing boats, charter boats, and sailboats. The town is a biker's domain. Being our third visit to the island, we stayed in town, visited markets, side-stepped the many bikes, strolled around the castle, and stopped by Hippocrates tree. According to Greek lore, Hippocrates planted the plane tree and taught under the tree. In reality, it is probably only 500 years old, so the math doesn't compute. Still, it's a beautiful tree and a romantic story.

Our primary reason for coming to Kos was to go to the coast city of Bodrum, Turkey. This is the ancient city of Halicarnassus and the site of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. The Mausoleum was built for King Mausolos in 353 BCE by his wife (aka - sister). The word mausoleum originates from the king's name. Only ruins remain. The Mausoleum was torn down by the 15th century Knights of St. John to build the Petronion Castle.

The Petronion Castle has been turned into an excellent Underwater Archaeology Museum. The museum houses some of the world's oldest excavated shipwrecks. It also provides some amazing views of the city.

This afternoon we caught a catamaran ferry to Samos, one of our favorite islands. It is the home of Pythagorus and Aesop. It is a very green island, has some great beaches, and has a charming harbor in the town of Pythagorio, where we will be located.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hippocratic OathHippocratic Oath
Hippocratic Oath

I will use treatment to help the sick according to my ability, but never with a view to injury and wrong doing.


11th June 2015

Great
It is great to know that you are traveling again. I am having a great traveling year as well. I just returned from a three week trip to Uzbekistan, Kyrgistan and China and in February we have been to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania, all wonderful trips. Have a great time, best regards, Brigitte and Alfred
11th June 2015
Mausoleum ruins

Uuufff!
Super awesome pics and words. Wish we were there with you. Making plans now to be in Siesta, Eagle Nest and Breese in August. Will keep you in the loop!
12th June 2015
Passing by the island of Symi

Amazingly beautiful
Fantastic photo

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb