Sailing


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Amorgos
August 31st 2018
Published: October 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post


Amorgos Chora
We’ve flown to Greece to spend a few days sailing with our friends from Melbourne who live on a yacht here. They have spent most of this summer in Turkey but we join them just as they start their sail back across the Aegean to Greece. We fly into Kos and meet them there.

We have some good days sailing, first north to Leros and then a long day sail across to Amorgos. Although we originally planned to sail further, either to Naxos or Paros, but the weather forecast isn’t great so we decide to sail north from Amorgos anchor for the night and then sail back to Amorgos from where there is a regular ferry we can take to Pireaus.

Amorgos isn’t one of the better known Cyclades islands but is a lovely spot. The Chora is right on top of the island and is a delightful old town overlooked by 5 derelict windmills. The island is surprisingly well connected by buses so it’s easy for us one evening to catch one up to the Chora for one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time.

Perched half way up the cliffs on the southern

Windmills overlooking the chora
side of the island is perhaps the best sight on the island, the monastery of Hozoviotissa. The monastery is open most days for visitors from 4pm and once suitably dressed we are welcomed inside by the monks.

As always a week is too short but even J who isn’t a keen sailor has enjoyed it. It’s been great to see our friends, if only for a short time, and to visit some new places we would otherwise not have seen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement





Monastery on Amorgos




Amorgos


Watching us leave Amorgos


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb