Olympia, Santorini and Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
December 12th 2015
Published: December 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

ok, I am way behind on the blog!



Our plan to slow the travel down has not materialized yet. After saying goodbye to our great travel mates - Patti and Doug, and niece Courtney, we flew to Dubai and spent 4 fantastic days in Dubai with my brother Mark. We are now in Kuwait, enjoying 2 great days with friends from the Peace Corp - Craig and Tina Johnson and their beautiful family - Anders, Emma and Inga. Tonight we fly to Amman Jordan and will spend a week in Jordan. That blog and pictures will follow at some later time....



I uploaded these pics a couple of days ago of the prior week . Since the previous blog - we spent a rainy day in Olympus. It was still amazing to see the ruins and the excellent museum next door.



Then it was a beautiful sunny dry back to the Athens airport where we dropped off the rental car and flew to Santorini. What a beautiful island, We had beautiful accommodations looking into the caldera, great restaurant nearby and the gorgeous view of white houses climbing up the hills. We spent one day just walking thru the narrow streets, shared with the construction donkeys. We marveled how they knew their way, as the workers would load them up and off they would go by themselves.



The second day we rented a car and toured the island from one end to the other. We enjoyed the Red Rock beach, local wineries and the Crazy Donkey beer brewery. It was a beautiful sunny day and we pretty much had the island to ourselves. We do love travelling off season, especially when we get lucky with the weather!



Then a short flight back to Athens, where Courtney joined us. Our hotel had a great rooftop view of the Acropolis. We spent the evening wandering the Plaka area.



We noticed signs of the transit strike for tomorrow, but knew we would not be travelling. So the next day when we reached the Acropolis entry we were quite surprised the transit strike included the Acropolis. Fortunately the Acropolis museum was open and in hindsight we were glad to have toured the museum first. It is an excellent museum with many statues etc from the Acropolis and gave you a great understanding of the history and complexity of the area. And fortunately the next day, we were able to see the Acropolis! It was amazing to stand and just stare at The Partheon and feel the history!



I think all of us really enjoyed Greece. We never had a bad meal and everyone we met were friendly and helpful. It was a great time and many wonderful memories.



Then it was back to Istanbul, and to our favorite Hotel Nena. It was Saturday and the streets were packed near the Spice bazaar, but we joined in and managed to find some souvenirs. Off to a dance performance of White Rose, ending the evening with delicious baklava and tea.



A farewell to Patti and Doug. Then enjoyed the day with Courtney roaming the Taksim area, souvenir shopping and enjoying some more delicious baklava. Then said good bye to Court on Tuesday and Ed & I flew to Dubai on Wed. This is all written a bit hastily as we will be leaving for the airport shortly. There are so many more stories and thoughts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Beautiful Myceanean ruinsBeautiful Myceanean ruins
Beautiful Myceanean ruins

In the mist the castle looked eerily beautiful!


26th December 2015

Keep on Trekkin
Great photos as usual the sunset and night light of the Acropolis were especially impressive. I suspect in the future I will have to do some serious consulting about Turkey and a few other places. Have more fun! Grant
1st January 2017
The men - playing backgammon

film izle , en son çıkan filmler
I really love coming here to have a very good blog http://www.sinemalarsokagi.com

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb