Monasteries and Castles


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
October 4th 2005
Published: October 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 4 October: Monasteries and castles
Another bright, if crisp, morning. After an excellent breakfast. We decided to retrace our steps to Dmitsana and take the road down through the gorge. Several old monasteries le in the gorge, we went in search of the Philosophou, learning a little more of the greek alphabet at each sign! Found our way to the new monastery and were welcomed by a monk who insisted we partook of greek delight. We then went on the walk to the old monastery, up and down along a rough path to a crumbling ruin set on a cliff ledge. Amazing location. Took the dirt road to Prodromou clinging to the opposite side of the gorge, amazing views (and drops). Four wheel drive is a marvellous thing at times.

Dropped down out of the gorge and to Karitaina, a hill town with a decent Crusader era castle topping the crags. Wound our way up to the castle to marvellous views. No one else there. Walked back down via a 12th century Byzantine church.

Back on the road we headed further south and west. Hit the coast north of Kyparissia and drove down to Gialova on Navarino Bay through miles and miles of olive groves. At Gialova we stayed at a family run hotel literally on the beach. After a drink break we chilled out, had a stroll on the beach and watched the world go by - not much really. Had dinner at the hotel, superb grilled octopus.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Navarino Bay Navarino Bay
Navarino Bay

looking from the beach at Gialova


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb