Argostoli, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
May 24th 2018
Published: May 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Some days you just have to get away from it all and take a boat ride so that’s what I did in Argostolli. We docked at ten and walked along the shore to the Queen Bee. Mama Angeliki cooked up a storm the night before and her two sons Peter and George served the drinks and when we were all onboard we headed out to a secluded beach of White Rocks that can only be approached by sea.



On the way we enjoyed coffee and home made cookies and got to know our shipmates. Lucky me I was seated with the Aussies so I knew it would be a fun day, and it was. I actually climbed into the dingy and went ashore though I didn’t swim. The water was warm and a brilliant sapphire blue. I kind of felt sorry for a young couple in a motor boat who probably thought they would have the beach to themselves and then, here we are. They swam ashore, walked the beach and shortly dog paddled back to their boat to find a less public site.



After an hour or so we headed the remote Vardiani Islands where those who wanted to snorkel went in and the rest of us started on the wine. The red came in a gallon size plastic bottle such as juice would be in and the lid was marked 9.99e. I thought it was overpriced. The white came in soda like bottles and was at least tolerable. The Aussies started drinking and never stopped but never got drunk. Maybe it really was grape juice.



It was coming up on lunch time so the feast began. We had spanicopita, stuffed grape leaves, a pasta and tomato casserole, Then came the fava beans and large Greek salads. The intrepid Aussies were now into Raka shots, not me. I sipped one and it tasted like I imagine white lightning would. We heaved anchor and headed to the third stop of the day Xi beach. It’s allure is the red clay that you moisten, rub on your body and and get a free exfoliation.



Another tour boat anchored nearby and we were told that the passengers were naked. They were too far away for me to get a glimpse and it’s old news anyway.



The afternoon passed all to quickly and it was time for all to get on the dingy and back to the boat. The first load was dropped off when the dingy’s engine died. There were still five on the beach and the darn thing just wouldn’t catch. They think it was water in the gas. Peter jumped in and towed George and the dingy to the ladder and called the captain of the other tour boat.



He headed over to pick up George and then the folks who were imagining themselves stranded like Gillian. When all were safe on board we started our way back to the pier. We were due on board at 5:30 and it was now 4:35. Around 5:00 we saw the ship in a little bay but instead of going to it, we took a detour to see a fish farm. OK, the fish did jump when they heard our motor but we still had to get to shore and walk back to the ship. They were dismantling the gangway when we boogied on board. That is the closest I ever want to be to being left behind.





All in all it was a great day with lots of laughs and great food.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb