3rd day in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Lagkadia
April 3rd 2011
Published: April 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tonight we are in Lagkadia. What a day. We left Athen's around 10am, had to wait for the rental car. Took off for our trip through the Pelopennese. It truely amazes me how friendly everyone is. We stopped for gas, and the young man there chatted with us for quite some time. Said he would love to travel to America, we encouraged him. Said there really was so much to see, and to travel is so much fun. Sadly, according to his own admission, he LOVES to gamble. He wants to go to Las Vegas. Yikes. But hey, if that is what makes him happy, again, I hope he follows his dreams.


We made it to Ancient Corinth (Akrokorinthos) around 11am. We wandered up and down the street, a little uneasy as we were the ONLY women, hell, the only FEMALES of any age or species, to be found. Plenty of old men sitting around drinking coffee, but no women. Hmm, may explain what came later. I will explain in a bit.

Met a lovely shaggy muttly, who felt a single ear scratch was not sufficient, and followed us, butting my legs periodically. Considering he was part wooly mammoth, that nearly took me off my feet.

Such a small village, had a lovely grill overlooking the ruins. Christina got a picture of our lunch, I believe she loaded it onto her blog. We shared the meatier portions of said lunch with a little local cross eyed beggar. Silly little cat probably cleaned the plates as well after we left.

So here is the later. Our waiter was something else! He kept trying to get us to agree to meet him tonight. Not to play parcheesi. But he was pretty harmless, even if he did push it a bit too far at times.

After lunch, we headed to the castle on the outcropping towering over the village. Christina accidently brushed some stinging nettles, and blistered, we were both quite warm hiking up there, and we knew we were on the clock. So we left before getting to the top. Much like Pompeii, I would like to come back when I have more free time, just to explore.



We made our way down to Epidaurus (Epidavrous), stopped at Stokes for coffee and a wc break. Gorgeous view, lots of sun. Very nice. We got a bit turned around looking for the famous Theater at Epidaurus. Wound our way down into the maze of New Epidaurus (following signs the whole way), only to find it was the "little theater".

For anyone interested, look for the "Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus". THAT is the big theater.



We wound our way past Mycenea, Nafplion, through Argos, Mantinia, Vytina and into Lagkadia. This town is gorgeous. Odd, but gorgeous. We were to stay at the Kentrikon Hotel, but were moved to the Lagkadia Resort (owned by the same family) because they had some "noisy guests". I have no clue, but for 60 euros per night, this suite is so much better than we had reserved!



Tomorrow we will look around more, and I will post again then!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb