It's all Greek to Me!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Corinth
June 27th 2011
Published: June 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Howdy, readers. We're in Greece now, but I'll give you the whole story... I apologize for the pun.
(written on Saturday)
Originally, we had planned to drive south from Venice on Thursday and Friday, and catch a ferry Friday night to Saturday morning to Greece. However, my dad was browsing the internet and found a different, longer ferry route that left on Friday at 2 pm and got in on Saturday at 8-ish, and it left from Venice, which eliminated about 10 hours of driving. So we're on that ferry now, and we have had some lovely views of the Greece coastline. The water here is absolutely lovely, navy blue in the deep water and turquoise in the shallows. We've had only good weather on the ferry, which is fantastic because noone is terribly seasick 😊.
Most of us have sunbirns from Venice, and with the unbelievable heat here, we're very likely to get more; which will certainly make for comfortable sleeping, especially combined with the heat.
I think that's all for now, folks. Stay tuned for our Greek adventures!
.... back to the present. So we got into Patras on Saturday, and while driving through we saw a lot of poor, dirty places, which made Mom a little nervous. We camped out near Patras on the beach. On Sunday we drove to Olympia, which of course was the site of the first Olympics. We didn't go in, but we got a peek from the road of the archaeological site.
Today, Monday, we went to a huge ancient theatre, which seated about 1500 people. You could stand anywhere and hear anyone else talking. We explored some ruins there from the 2nd millennia or so BC! It was unbelievable! After that we went to another ruins site, a castle supposedly made by Perseus. It was unbelievable that a couple of walls were still standing a bit after thousands of years.

Enjoy your summer, folks😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb