Cruising with Anne and Joe


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » North Aegean
September 1st 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Skiathos - Skopelos - Alonnisos - Peristeri - Skantzoura

We had just a few days to potter about before our sailing guests - Anne and Joe - arrived. So, having just fixed the electric motor on the anchor windlass, all was ready for them to join us. We set off from Skiathos to Loutraki on Skopelos in strong winds and with both sails reefed. This was when the stitching along the back edge and the bottom edge of the foresail decided to disintegrate. Nine summers of UV and it had had enough. Displaying our flapping bits of sail fabric we arrived in Loutraki and asked around. Captain George informed us that our best solution was to return to Skiathos and courier the sail to Thessalonika for repair. Two days there, a day to repair, and two days back - oh and it was the weekend as well so add another day or two!

So when Anne and Joe arrived we had no foresail - not great for a sailing holiday. But it arrived the very next day and we were off on a rapid tour of Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonnisos, Peristeri and Skantzoura - the Northern Sporades.

Having fresh
Their flight comes in to landTheir flight comes in to landTheir flight comes in to land

Joe - sitting over the left wing - spotted Freedom on the approach
crew onboard was fabulous. Both took their turn helming, hoisting and dropping sails, and Joe became the “anchor-man”. We had our moments, like in Stena Vela on the island of Alonissos when Joe stood obediently by the anchor while Kate was lining up Freedom to the quayside, she wasn’t happy so aborted the approach to try again and called “sorry Joe” to our anchor-man, he heard “OK Joe” and dropped the anchor - oops. We laughed and everything worked out the next time.

It was a week of calm weather - the only one all summer - so we enjoyed gentle sailing, charming harbours, lovely deserted bays and warm swimming. We included a Mamma Mia tour of Skopelos during the week and managed to either visit or sail past numerous locations from the movie, usually with ABBA blaring from the boat speakers. Anne and Joe - Thank you both for a truly memorable week.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Anne and Kate at Kastani beachAnne and Kate at Kastani beach
Anne and Kate at Kastani beach

location for Lay your Love on Me


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb