The Day we didn't go to Lefkada town


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Lefkada
March 21st 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The storm seems to have blown itself out overnight and the weather is calm, though cloudy, this morning. Without a proper coffee maker, we have resorted to “instant cappuccino” mix, which has some resemblance to the real thing, and seem to fit getting a slow start to the morning as we read the papers we got yesterday and gaze out over the harbour.

About 10:30, Aunt Helen calls. She had misplaced our phone number but has now found it again and is calling to tell us that the bus that goes around the island leaves shortly. She has also called Mia, the hotel owner, and sent her up to pass on the same message. With Mia knocking at the door, Aunt Helen and I end our conversation and Mia tells me the details of where to catch the bus. She also tells me that, although there is not a bus to Patras each day from Lefkada, the buses that head to Athens pass close to the port and that it is possible to then take a taxi the final distance. This is good news as it means we may not have to leave a day early after all.

We have decided to go directly to Lefkada rather than take the bus all the way around the island, so after breakfast we head to the bus stop. The sky has blackened considerably and it looks like a storm is coming. We think that there is to be a bus at 12, but the time comes and goes with no sign of one. The storm moves in and we take shelter under an awning as the lightening begins to strike followed by torrential rains. After another 20 minutes, we figure we must have got the bus times wrong and end up grabbing some lunch and heading to the INTERNET place at the far end of town.

The Greek Ferry web site is very convoluted to figure out and we aren't completely certain that we have found the best fares and route, so after an hour on the net, we head over to check out some travel agents for info. Unfortunately, all stores close down here in the early afternoon, opening again later in the day. We end up just heading back to the apartment to do the day's school work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb