greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
March 13th 2016
Published: March 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It has been quite a while since I have written a blog for us, we have spent the last couple of years in Greece, and learnt to love this very varied country. We have been lucky enough to have some good friends here, and have enjoyed some very relaxing times. All of our trips have been interesting and mostly really fun, but last september we had a very bad trip to Crete. The weather was very hot, 42 Deg but the winds were very favourable when we set off from Preveza, we headed to Zante first, I had not been there before, and we anchored int he middle of the big harbour. It was so very hot, we took the dog ashore and had an ice-cream. We had spent the previous evening in Kastos, one of our favourite places with Ray and Jo and Jan, and we decided to have an evening in. The next morning we left early to head to the Pelloponise , Pylos.



When we arrived at Pylos it was so hot, the first thing we did was jump into the water right by the boat, and just get a bit cooler, the dog spent ages swimming, she was very overheated. We did laugh when a guy came round to the boat on the slightly broken down quay and took a few euros off us, and then asked us whether we would like electricity, when it was quite obvious that the electricity had never been connected at all!! Still he seemed harmless, and so off we went to the town, leaving our trusty security doberman in charge of the boat. The little town was very sweet and we had a nice meal out.

Next morning we left early, and the wind got up a bit, so we had a good sail down to the anchorage at Porto Kaio, what a magnificent place. The mountains reach down to the sea, and there was only one other boat there. Ashore the small taverna was really friendly, and there was a great walk for the dog to the small chapel on the point. The wind never dropped, and I did try to put the washing out, but it was pretty vertical!! Still it was calm water, and we had plenty of room behind us. It is the gusts that unnerve you, sounding like trains arriving behind you, if the wind was steady like the caribbean, it would be less worrying. All in all a beautiful place, calm and tranquil, we really liked it. Up early next morning, walk the dog, and then off to Kithera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th March 2016

Greece
So good to receive your blog again. Very pleased you are flying the flag for Britain around Europe. David A

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb