Crete a day with Jan and Rodger


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
June 9th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El GrecoEl GrecoEl Greco

WIn thought he looked like Don Quito de la Mancha and needed a hat!
Jan and Rodger did a day trip to Agios Nikolaos and here are their comments on their day……..Rodger and I had a sleep in as we had decided that the trip to Chania was too long a day for us.

We went to the bus station to take the local bus to Agios Nikolaos a pretty port town on the eastern end of Crete. The bus left at 10.30 a.m. and wound through the outer suburbs of Heraklion, past the airport. Further out we came to the sea and followed the coastline past sandy beaches and numerous resorts, The beaches are all set up with sun lounges and umbrellas all sprouting like mushrooms, all different colours. One suspects you would have to pay to use them. No one on the beach as it was windy. Further on were more up market resorts and the coastline became rockier. We left the coast and wound up onto a plateau again a good road and we reached Agios Nikolaos at 12.30 p.m.

Walked to Plaza area under some shady trees and took photos looking down upon on this most delightful and beautiful village. Legend says that Athena and Artemis bathed in the waters of the lake.

I was hoping to buy one of the traditional Cretan hats worn by men which I thought was a black beanie with a rolled edge with a bit of lace. What they tried to sell me was a triangular piece of black open weave lace, which you put over your head, wrapped it around, and tied in the front. I can see it would like a beanie with a Crete gentleman with a stock of black hair, but on my head, it looked like a lace milk cover on my head. If I wore it, my rankings as a nerd would improve.

There is a small lake at the foot of the hill and this has been joined to the sea by a small canal. Lots of fishing boats lined up at the edge of the lake. A small bridge is over the canal. All along the edge of the lake and sea are walkways with lovely shops and restaurants. In the small lanes and streets are trees, fancy lampposts and up market shops. We lunched on the waterfront, I ordered jacket potato and got two the size of small footballs.

We walked around taking photos, lots of little fishing boats and ferryboats to nearby Spinalonga Island, which was historic, scenic and had been a leper colony. We took taxi back up hill to bus. Most of the taxis in Greece are Mercedes and also many private cars. Got back into town at 4.00 p.m. and went to Archaeological Museum to see small display of wonderful artifacts, many from Knossos where we had previously visited. Had dinner near Hotel and wait for Win, Di, and Helen to return from their day out.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb