Iraklion


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
May 31st 2007
Published: May 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Crete and London Trip


iraklioniraklioniraklion

arriving at the iraklion airport

Crete and London Trip
anonymous
Lynda and I made it to Crete after a very difficult 24 hours worth of travelling. We are leaving Heraklion today to hop on a bus to Plakias in southern Crete. We plan to do some snorkeling and maybe some horseback riding.
Heraklion is a big city, much like Rome was. Areas of buildings within reach are covered with graffiti using greek and english language. Constructions seems constant here as we have been woken up by someone "knocking" on our wall. Since the buildings here are farely old, the city must work hard to keep them up and renovations are at every corner.
My favorite thing so far? The cheap tapestries in the market place, which we will buy when we return, and the street dogs and cats. Of course I favor the dogs. With collars on, seeming to belong to someone, these pets belong to the streets of Heraklion. The stone walls and brick roads are their homes. The cats come up to you begging for a peice of your meal. Hard not to give in when they look at you with those beautiful eyes. They are all very maingey (sp?). I would love to give them baths.
Yesterday,
iraklioniraklioniraklion

our room at the mirabello hotel
Lynda and I took a foot tour of the city. It lasted about 4 or 5 hours. We walked down to the sea and visited the Venetian Harbour which is a popular tourist site. We had been told about museums by many of the locals but have yet to find any of them. In hearing other tourists, the museums are closed.
This city is very tourist friendly. Everyone speaks some english and those who don't point you in the direction of someone who does. The most difficult task we've encountered thus far has been currency exchange. Not all banks will take US dollars. We were directed to many different places before going to the Bank of Greece, a very humid place that reaked of body odor. We found the post office today but will figure out how to send things back at the end of our trip. We're trying our best to keep our loads light until the end.

The server here is incredibly slow, so I will have to add pictures at a later time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

iraklion3iraklion3
iraklion3

first view out our balcony
iraklion4iraklion4
iraklion4

morning
iraklion5iraklion5
iraklion5

view of the mediterranean sea
iraklion6iraklion6
iraklion6

the marketplace
iraklion7iraklion7
iraklion7

the marketplace
iraklion8iraklion8
iraklion8

the marketplace
iraklion9iraklion9
iraklion9

my breakfast. spinach pie.
iraklion10iraklion10
iraklion10

town local
iraklion11iraklion11
iraklion11

the venetian harbour
iraklion12iraklion12
iraklion12

boats at the venetian harbour
iraklion13iraklion13
iraklion13

seafront street... walking to the venetian fort.
iraklion14iraklion14
iraklion14

it cost us 2 euros to go into the venetian fort.
iraklion15iraklion15
iraklion15

to satisfy the requests of all my fans, a picture with me in it :) -the venetian fort
iraklion16iraklion16
iraklion16

iraklion - window view from the venetian fort
iraklion17iraklion17
iraklion17

window view from the venetian fort
iraklion18iraklion18
iraklion18

it was a very windy day as you can see. this is me sitting on a wall at the venetian fort.
iraklion19iraklion19
iraklion19

a neat view from inside the fort. that's iraklion in the background.
iraklion20iraklion20
iraklion20

inside a large empty room... we called this the ballroom. back then they even had sky windows.
iraklion21iraklion21
iraklion21

this is where they would load the cannons and shoot out of the 'windows'


31st May 2007

food
how's the food?
1st June 2007

my seester
Hi, Sister! Well, aside from the bank that smells like body odor(!), it sounds like your journey has started off nicely. Your pictures are so beautiful. I can't wait for them to be posted. We won't show the ones of you with those dogs to your Bailey Girl. :) I miss you very much. Can't wait for you to come home, but hope that you are enjoying every minute in Greece! Stay safe!!!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb