Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Chania
May 14th 2014
Published: May 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Crete
Arriving in Crete we disembarked our ship and begun looking for the Budget car rental booth. After walking in circles for ten minutes a nice gentleman with a giant "Tyler Selk" sign ran up to us. Apparently we had walked right by him and he was running after us for ten minutes.


After getting the car we made our way over to Chania. The drive was long in the dark but we made if alright. When we arrived we immediately fell in love with the cobblestone streets that lined the harbour. We walked up and found our hotel. Our hotel was great and was run by a family that explained to me that Stavros the father grew up in Montreal. When I met him in the morning we spoke about Montreal.


Stavros was also nice enough to show us where we could visit with our rental car. We made our way to two beautiful monasteries. The one that was open we were invited to visit inside and it was beautiful. There were tons of little kitties that the monks take care of and we were able to take lots of beautiful pictures.


We then visited a beautiful town named Stavros and then visited a famous tomb on our drive back to Chania. We loved Chania so much. It was my favorite place we have visited so far. The people here were amazing and so nice to us.


Our second day in Chania we took off to visit the mountains and make our way to Rethymnon. The drive was beautiful and we stopped along the way to visit a War Museum that told the story of how Crete was taken by the Germans in 1941. It was very interesting and we learned a lot.


When we arrived in Rethymnon we checked into our hotel and went to check out the city. It was very nice but didn't have the same charm as Chania..... so we promptly made the decision that if we were to move it would be to Chania.


We visited the old Ventian Fortress and although beautiful the extreme winds sort of ruined the experience. We walked around town and enjoyed lunch on the water and spent the rest of our day eating, drinking and shopping. Today we made our way back to Heraklion to return the car and fly to Rhodes. So beautiful here but excited to see Rhodes. Rhodes was the island I wanted to see most when we were planning this trip and I can't wait to see it.

Until next time

Jill

more pics below


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb