Welcome to Crete!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Chania » Platanias
July 27th 2018
Published: July 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I'm pretty sure, that everybody knows myths and legends about Greece, it's Gods and Goddess, olive oil and of course Greek salad.

And that is true. Greece (in my case island Crete) is the place where you'll leave a small part of your heart, it's real so.

We spent one week on Crete, but it wasn't enough. So many tours and places-to-visit that we were confused, but just a little bit. And we decided to start with walking through Planatanias, near Chania. Actually, this is the place we lived in.

If you aren't fond of crowd of tourists (be ready for this), turn round the corner and you'll see true Crete. The first place we have visited wasn't a beach (unexpectedly?), it was a family tavern “Drakiana” located quite far from the center.

A small remark, here every place for eating out is with an adjective “family”. You can meet “family restaurant”, “family tavern”, but this place is really family, because here are gathered many relatives. Mother is responsible for preparing meals for guests, father for transferring people from the center of the city to the tavern and their children for catering. It impresses.

You can't be disinterested seeing this gorgeous nature, tasting it's dishes made from local products or communicating with nationals.

And now the tastiest part of this story. It's not necessary to write about well-known specialties, like Greek salad or feta cheese, I'm sure you've already tasted them. I'd like to speak about dishes which are commonly served in Crete and in Greece as well. Mousaka (mix of stewed vegetables, mincemeat and bechamel), stifado (pork in sauce commonly served with fried potatoes and vegetables), souvlaki (grilled chicken or pork with pita-bread and fried potatoes) and stuffed vine leaves. There're far more specialties, like fava, dakos, gyros, saganaki… Sounds tasty, so why not to come here and make your stomach happier. Maybe you've heard about tzatziki sauce. You can try it everywhere, but of course it's better to do here. And a couple of words about dessert. It isn't a surprise that a lot of sweets consist of honey and Greek yoghurt, but I highly recommend kataifi. It's mixture of walnuts or any other kind of nuts in a strange roll dipped into sweet, sticky syrup, worth eating.

It'll be a crime (and I don’t want to break the law) if I don't mention beverages. Raki or for Russian people it'll be something like samoghon. You don't need to order it in a restaurant, because a waiter brings a small jug of Raki with your bill. Everyone can imagine this taste, that's why I'll continue. Ouzo it's anise liquor. Just remind yourself the taste of sambuka or mixture against cough, very sweet and aroma. Who don't like such drinks can order a glass (okay, a bottle) of homemade wine. Red, white, rose - it depends on your own preference.

And about local people. To say that they're friendly, it means nothing to say. They' re warm and open. They don't care where are you from, which language do you speak, because if you say “Yamas” they'll clearly understand you. If you are their guest, they'll do their best you to make you feel like at home. The home which you won't leave until you drink couple of shots of raki or ouzo with them.

Crete is like an old friend. You meet him once a year or even rare but each time you feel very comfortable with him. It's a friend whom you miss and try to see him ASAP.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb