Creator of Heaven and Earth


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki
August 27th 2015
Published: August 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

27 August
Feast of St. Monica



I apologize for my absence during these first couple days in Greece; I have been tired at night and our internet connection has been poor. Monday, the 24th was a travel day across the border between Turkey and Greece. We stayed overnight in Neapolis (Kavala), where Paul would have arrived on his way to Philippi. Tuesday, we traveled to Philippi and celebrated Eucharist at the stream, which commemorates the location of the baptism of Lydia (Acts 16:14-15). On Wednesday, we visited a 5th Century Byzantine Basilica, which still functions as a Greek Orthodox Basilica. Today, we visited the convent of St. Stephen in Meteora, this is one of six monasteries dating back to the 11th century that are perched atop ancient rock formations carved out by a prehistoric river.



We believe in God, the Father, Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth…so begins the Nicene Creed. As I have traveled over the last several days, it is God’s creation…the mountains, the plains, the diversity of peoples, fauna and flora that have impressed me the most. The towns, ever ancient and ever new, are impressive, but only nature turns my heart, mind, and soul to stand in fear of the Lord.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Stream of Lydia's BaptismStream of Lydia's Baptism
Stream of Lydia's Baptism

1st European to be baptized by Paul.
"Sea of Olives""Sea of Olives"
"Sea of Olives"

Millions of olive trees in the valley below


27th August 2015
Possible Site of Paul's imprisonment in Philippi

WOW
Mike, Thank you for sharing this journey. Your photos are breathtaking and your reflections prayer provoking!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb