Week 13 in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Almond TreeAlmond TreeAlmond Tree

The milder weather has fooled the almond trees to start swelling with buds
Week 13 in Greece 2nd Feb 2009
We have had some milk weather in the past week-called The Halycon Days. Wikipedia says:

The usage derives ultimately from the Ancient Greek legend of Alcyone. In the context of the legend, the halcyon is a type of kingfisher that builds its nest by the sea; the bird charms the winds and waves so that seas remain unusually calm during its nesting season, the seven days before and seven days after the winter solstice. There is more often than not a temporary improvement of the winter weather in Greece sometime during January.

Mama's chooks liked the warmer whether- up to 17 C one day and increased their output of eggs. However, it is back to 2 C overnight this evening.
Last week in Perea I noticed a specially made nesting box with legs on top of the electricity pole for the storks. I had not seen one so close to dense population before. Apparently 25,000 people live in the three seaside communities of Perea, Nea Epivates and Mihanona.- about 15 minute drive in the car from Perea to Mihanona.
We went for a walk one afternoon away from the beach and towards
Stork Nesting Box  PereaStork Nesting Box  PereaStork Nesting Box Perea

The council provide the storks with a safer nesting area on top of the electricity poles.
the hinterland. There were 5 eagles soaring and trying to mate. Michael spent some time trying to take some photos, but they were gliding on the rising thermals, so the camera could not get a very close image.
On Friday 30th Jan I accompanied the next door neighbour to a monastery church which is close by. It follows the Gregorian Calendar, so Friday was St Anthony's Name Day, hence the church service on that Friday. One of the monks at the monastery had been a Doctor in Germany, but had changed careers and I assume wanted the quieter life. There were about 20 people there in the church- mainly old people, as it was a Friday and people were at work. After the two hour service they served refreshments and it seemed strange to see the primary school aged kids going straight to the office computer which had internet access and they played some car racing games.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Eagle SoaringEagle Soaring
Eagle Soaring

One of five eagles we spent some time looking at in the Perea hinterland .
Wonderful CloudsWonderful Clouds
Wonderful Clouds

This is in the Perea hinterland where the eagles were and the clouds were magic.
Monastery Church DoorMonastery Church Door
Monastery Church Door

This is the view from the outside of the monastery church.
Monastery ChurchMonastery Church
Monastery Church

It is only a little church- not sure how old it is.
Monastery Church PergolaMonastery Church Pergola
Monastery Church Pergola

View looking towards the monastery church from the entrance to the monastery property
Wooden FlowersWooden Flowers
Wooden Flowers

I took this photo of some wooden flowers in a front garden in Perea in reference to the sweltering weather in Melbourne this week.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb