In Delphi


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Delphi
June 14th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ride to Delphi

Gone are European highways, instead what counts in Greece as main roads. Bends, hairpins, pot holes and vehicles going too fast, oh and as the afternoon went on an increasingly strong gusting wind. So we drifted along at a leisurely pace taking in the amazing scenery and enjoying the ride as much as possible, which was fun after getting out of Patras. The bridge crossing from the south coast of the Gulf of Corinth to the north coast was impressive as a piece of engineering, then the coast round to Itea, winding around mountains and bays, then finally the climb up to Delphi. So yes, a good ride.

Arrival in Delphi.
The trip up was fun though, in the helmet and jacket I baked. You can keep the alps - this is scenery. And Delphi, supposedly the centre of the world is about the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Facing some stern opposition - Palenque, Ocosingo, Assos - but the views are stupendous. I doubt the photos catch them as photos are static and views ever changing with the light.

We were last in Delphi nearly 15 years ago - t was off season then and very quiet. As you can imagine it is currently quite busy though the hotels and restaurants are far from full. The site was crowded but still impressive. It's very ruined (several earthquakes) and not excessively restored. The oracle gave answers. The museum was packed as we walked in - two large parties - but they went through a lot faster than us (I am very slow at museums) and we gt the Charioteer almost to ourselves. It is still wonderful - probably my favourite work of art out f all I have seen. I am no longer convinced that it is actually Apollo. I thought I only watched for about five minutes but Ashley says it was half a hour. He took a photo of it which I shall post. I'll also buy the postcard.

We went down the hill to the gymnasium and Athena Temple - they're on separate terraces then we came back up. We bought a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to Greece.and another roadmap. Currently aiming to get up to Pella then out to Igoumenitsa for the trip back. Istanbul was nice in theory but wit the ferry only gong as far as Patras, it would be a horrible rush and we want to take time to enjoy ourselves. May well go walking in the mountains round here tomorrow, may move on, we're yet to decide. The main thing is to take it easy, relax and have fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

StatueStatue
Statue

Charioteer - Delphi


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb