Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 2nd 2013
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.9792, 23.7166

We slept in, probably because it was such a late night. Another tasty breakfast upstairs. We went out to see the temple of Olympian Zeus, the one major feature on our tickets that we had not yet seen. The columns were very impressive (Corinthian), and I liked the fact that one was tipped over. We returned to the hotel via the park.

After checking out, we rode the Metro to Piraeus (changing trains briefly). We waited a little bit for a bus, but weren't exactly sure which bus to take to the port, so we started to walk. And we kept walking, dragging our bags behind us. It took us about 30 minutes, but we found the entrance to the port (which was not well-signed). The Prinsendam was parked just outside the port building. We carried our bags to our stateroom, which is a lovely large suite, on deck 10, with a king-size bed, two desks, and comfy chairs on a large veranda. Lunch, then took coffee to our room to check email one last time while we still had a relatively cheap, land-based connection. At 4:15pm, we had the muster drill. They actually called roll call at each lifeboat. One couple was not in attendance … and we wonder what would happen to them, as Holland America threatens to disembark any passengers that refuse to join in the drill. I guess "refuse" is different than failure to participate. After the drill, we had a quick orientation to the ship (it is a small one, so there is limited public space to learn about) and returned to our cabin for sail-away.

The ship was about 45 minutes late departing … we can't tell if we were waiting for two ferries to leave or for a tug to be available, but, no matter. By 6pm, we were off and running. Paul and I went upstairs for a drink and ended up being roped into a trivia game. Funnily enough, we would have won if we had played alone. Our compatriots, who seemed so certain over some things, led us astray. But it was still entertaining. We then had a drink.

By 7:30pm, we were getting hungry so we went to the dining room. They said it would be about 30 minutes before we had a table, so we returned to our stateroom and played cards. At 8pm, we returned to the dining room and were sat at a table for two. Food was quite good, but the service was unremarkable. Pleasant, a bit slow to start, but unremarkable. We glanced briefly into the small showroom after dinner, but since this is the first night of the cruise, it was a “showcase” of the talent upcoming on future nights. So we didn't stay. We returned to our cabin to journal and sleep.


Tot: 2.423s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0812s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb