Greece - Athens - day - Day 1-2


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
July 22nd 2013
Published: July 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

- I think this has to be one of the smoothest trip we have had...no hassles with the baggage...we even had time to rest eat and do a bit of duty free shopping...We landed in Athens...and again everyone started clapping....Athens airport has changed so much since the first time I came....it was all new...later I learned that the airport was new built for the Olympics....the old airport is now abandoned their trying to sell it but no one is buying....we met our cab driver who met us with water and a video of the acropolis....Seems that Athens cleaned up a lot for the Olympics....Our hotel was made around the 70s but it was comfortable, clean and staff were friendly...

Day 1 -

early start as we hired a private tour taxi , our guide name was Spiros..the tour started by pick up at our hotel....then off to the temple of Zeus to get our tickets for all other attractions including the acropolis ...the temple of Zeus was built 700 ad...the temple had 104 columns and only 16 remain....the columns are massive...you feel so little next to them......here also we saw the arch of Hadrian....this is the arch that divides the west and the east....we then went to the Acropolis....we're the Parthenon dedicated to the goddess Athena, the Odeum of Herodes, which still holds concerts, the theatre of Dionysus, the Erechtheion a tomb and shrine , Wally came out with us and took some pics...some Japanese girl recognised him and took lots of pictures of him. There was a dog that didn't want carmen to take pictures of the propylaea....every time she moved he moved to be in the pictures....we then went to the monastery of kessariani, the temple of hephaestus, the ancient of angora, and the agora of athens, we then went off to see the beaches of athens....i didn't know that athens had beautiful beaches.....lunch was had by the sea., food and beer was great...off we went again to see the Sounion where the sailors offer their sacrifice....we then headed off to the athens museum.....its cool to see so many findings that were hidden by the Greeks for future generations....Off to the changing of the guards ...and stood next to the guard for our pic...he did not move or blink....to our last stop which was mount lycabettus...where you get to see all of Athens ...

Day 2 -

Carmens uncles house - we took the metro to Carmens uncles house.....metro was easy...only one line to take and 20 minutes....we waited for her uncle ...we knew that it was a red van ......funny...Carmen must also look Greek as she kept getting asked how to buy tickets at the station.....when her uncle arrived he thought it was just a girl about to give him a parking spot....when Carmen spoke to him then he realised who she was...problem here there is two seats and three of us...oh wait there are two little seats at the back....guess who is going there ...the house is 30 minutes by car....we go through dirt hills and winding roads... Then there is this house at he top of the hill....with the most amazing views of the ocean....they then proceed to talk about family and missing years....Carmen also set up a Skype conference with the relatives including her mum...when it all connected they all started talking at the same time....OMG don't know how anyone could hear what they were saying....after lots of laughs .....we went out for lunch and had real Greek food....and ice cream by the sea....her uncles dog at the end of the trip really loved Carmen, he kept giving her hugs and kissing her bottom LOL....he is a Greek dog after all....

A lot of people only stay one day and see the ruins in central Athens....but it's worth while spending three days and seeing outside the city....there is always some discovery to be found...and the beaches are pretty good too....


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb