Better than Expected - Athens, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 1st 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When you go to a place with low expectations it is easier to be ‘wowed’. We had only a couple of days in Athens and so I was determined to make the most of it.

We arrived after an interesting and at times spectacular bus ride from Vonitsa, a small town near Palairos. We enjoyed the coastal and countryside views and a ride across a very substantial bridge.

After we checked into our hotel we visited The Acropolis Museum and, as luck would have it, we arrived on the free entry day which meant that the price was right. As you walk into the museum you look down on excavated ruins. Inside the museum is a substantial range of sculptures and artefacts from the Acropolis. Unfortunately, most ancient sites in Athens have been knocked down and partially destroyed by various marauders at different times through the centuries. This means that many of the artefacts are in a sorry state or have been extensively ‘patched’. That aside, the visit to the museum was interesting and prepared us for our visit to the Acropolis.

For dinner on our first night we sampled a unique contribution to world cuisine, the Giro, a sort of donner kebab with chips. Not a culinary delight but a quick and tasty snack!

We decided to make The Acropolis our first stop on our first full day because we wanted to get up the hill before it got too hot. I think that every other tourist in the whole of Athens had the same idea. To say it was crowded would be an understatement! It was fair groaning with people looking for that unique holiday snap. Despite the hordes of tourists, it is a great edifice and a must see. You also get a wonderful view over Athens and sites such as the temple of Zeus and the Basilica.

After the Acropolis we walked down to the ancient Agora. I am never quite sure what to make of ruins which were clearly once important sites. Is it glorious or just a jumble? The reality for me is it is a bit of both!

In the afternoon I ventured down to the National Archaeological Museum, a fine collection of ancient statues and artefacts including gold and treasure from the Antikythera shipwreck.

Eileen observed and commented that Athens was the home of a once great civilisation. Where had it lost its way?


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb