Athens, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 3rd 2012
Published: October 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Athens
Exciting, our first stop in Greece. We were up early and headed off on our own hoping to beat some of the big tours heading to the Acropolis. We got a shuttle to terminal A. The walk to find the metro took about half an hour and not five minutes that a cabbie had told us. The port looks quite beautiful and full of a lot of ships and ferries. I think actually they might have some that our province had at one time. Sian figured out the metro and after 3 changes we were at the Acropolis. Totally amazing walking around the Acropolis and the lower area. Absolutely incredible. We got a lot of pictures and ran into a lot of people on the tours. I guess we didn’t quite beat the early tours after all. It was a wonderful experience. Taking pictures from the top over Athens, the buildings in the distance looked like stones. Sunny, big blue skies and a tad hot, we made our way over to the Acropli Museum which had an amazing entry and is a beautiful interesting modern building. At the entry you can look down onto ruins underneath the museum which are still being excavated. The floors in many places are glass and you can see down below to other floors as you are walking around. Big and Beautiful. We had lunch with an incredible breeze out on the deck with a beautiful view of the Acropolis. We made our way around the base of the Acropolis to Plaka…the streets are really interesting with all kinds of shops and buildings… we bought a few things but this trip has really not involved much in the way of purchases. There was some incredible handmade jewellry and were able to pick up a few gifts. We crossed a few crazy busy streets and there are a lot of yellow cabbies. We crossed to see Hadrians Arch and took some pics of Zeus temple. Sian led the way back through the Metro system and got us back to Pireaus and our ship. Incredible day. Tomorrow is Turkey. Hot and melting…heading for the shower and a cold beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb