Athenian ruins


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 4th 2012
Published: September 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Meteora early on Saturday morning to go to Athens. On the way, we stopped at Delphi (and consulted the Oracle). Delphi is situated high on the side of a mountain, with some impressive remains of ancient buildings. From the top, looking down over the ruins, you get a really good impression of the site as it might have been in its day. In the evening, we arrived in Athens and settled in. We have the most amazing view from the apartment.

On Sunday, we went to the Acropolis and then on to the Acropolis Museum. In the evening, we walked around Monastriaki (where we are staying) and the Plaka, where we had dinner. The Plaka is a prominent tourist area, where there is shop after shop of souvenirs and tourist trinkets. Monday, we started the day with the changing of the guards at the monunent for the unknown soldier. We then went to the Athenian Agora, the Roman Agora and Hadrian’s Library. Tuesday, we took the funicular to the top of Lykavitos, the highest peak in Athens, to see Agios Georgios (the chapel of St George). The whole of Athens could be viewed from the top. From here, we preceded to the Panathenian Stadium, the site of the 1896 new Olympic Games.

Tomorrow, we leave Athens, after nine weeks of travelling, and we are looking forward to heading home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th September 2012

Hi from a long time collegaue
Hi Terry Guess who its Vanessa, i am still connected from your last holiday travel blog, I have been enjoying reading your travels, wonderful places you have been too, great photos, the world sure does have some wonderful places to visit, You are looking well, safe flight home. Cheers Vanessa

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb