Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 22nd 2012
Published: August 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

AthensAthensAthens

Acropolis
The plane trip from Kiev to Athens was nice with views over some of the Aegean Islands we will be visiting until the auto pilot was switched off; then the plane seemed to be all over the sky. The plane landed OK to a round of applause.

We used the Hop-on/hop-off Red Bus to take in the sights of Athens as we only have a short stay - need to preserve the legs for Santorini next. The Red Bus works much better in Athens than in Kiev - I suspect due to the increased amount of tourist traffic.

Had a couple of pieces of luck i) Did most of our touring the 1st day; the 2nd. day turned out to be a real scorcher. ii) Visiting the Acropolis 1st. and holding on to these tickets afforded free entry into a number of other sites we visited. I suppose if we had studied the english fine print one would have known this.

Got lost in the Plaka but finally found a laundry and a useful internet cafe I was searching for.

The Astor Hotel in Athens is much more roomy than our room at the Rus Hotel in
AthensAthensAthens

Acropolis
Kiev where I had to empty the room of extraneous furniture to recover some useful space. Good view of the Acropolis from the rooftop dining area and the A/con works a treat. The shower is different; no screen; just hose yourself down in a corner of the room.

The food has been good so far and we have stuck to the local cusine; you couldn't get a Big Mack in Kiev even if you wanted to as each Mackers we came across was packed solid - the locals seem to love it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

AthensAthens
Athens

Parthenon
AthensAthens
Athens

Acroplis Ampitheatre
AthensAthens
Athens

Lesia givin it to guard
AthensAthens
Athens

Changing of the guard
AthensAthens
Athens

Coffee, double iced expresso
AthensAthens
Athens

Astor - the shower


26th August 2012

The photos of Athens are beautiful and the shower is definately very interesting!
27th August 2012

Greek Toilets
Ron, Remember, don't throw the toliet paper down the toliet. That is what the little bin next to the toliet is for.
27th August 2012

Toilet
Thanks - yes I read the signs

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb