120 Steps!! Up, Up to the Parthenon


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 23rd 2010
Published: May 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


ParthenonParthenonParthenon

Old and Older ;-)
Yea! The decision was made that we would come to Athens. We are here on a Sunday and it is also a three day holiday week-end so many people are vacationing outside of the city and the demonstrations are not going on. So off to our tours...

Our days would not be complete without at least a BUNCH of steps, our thighs are getting pretty strong ;-)! Yes, 120 steps up the Acropolis to see the Parthenon. The crowds were staggering again, but worth it. The best decription I can give is to tell you to "google it", it's awfully hard to describe. The engineering and architecture is unbelievable in 500BC. Athens was the center of modern civilization and is full of antiquities and history (of course to see a lot of the statues and urns etc, you have to go to the London museum as folks from England decided to take them there in the mid 1800's. There seems to be some discontent about this but appears to be no resolution on returning anything to Greece.

We also saw the home of the 1st modern Olympic games in 1896. Can you image how long it took the Americans to come by boat in order to participate? The Greeks held the Olympic games for 1000 years before they were stopped in 476AD.

We're now at an internet cafe in the Plaka or area of shops and we have a couple of hours to wander, write on the blog and sit our at an outdoor cafe (no rain here!). These days are going by soooo fast. Hard to believe we've been gone 24 days already. Although we miss family and friends we are (as you can tell) having a great time. Next time I'll try to answer some of your questions so if you're interested in anything in particular, just write it on the blog and we'll try to answer it. Next stop, Olympia, Greece.

Advertisement



24th May 2010

Help?
Jean, I am wondering how you got the old man up 120 stairs... did you hire some "beef steaks" to carry him? :) r
24th May 2010

120 steps?
120 crummy steps? WIMPS!! I guess you have fogotten the 14 million steps to Sacre Coeur! And you did THAT unaided (though we did gripe). The picture is terrific, I can't take my eyes off it! Carry on!- Love, Linda

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb