Greece Part III


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
March 24th 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday was spent mainly trying to keep sane. We came to learn quickly that strikes are a very common thing in Greece and so are changes of schedules. John and I went to get on our ferry back to Athens that was supposed to leave around 3pm Wednesday. We got there at 1 or so and waited… and waited. Finally 3pm rolled around and we found out that during that part of the season the boat doesn’t come until 8pm, and sometimes just decides to get there after 9pm. We had already paid almost 15 euro to get down to the port so we just found some rocks to hang out on and read and what-not. Thankfully there were restaurants down there and we had a bite to eat for dinner. We had told Alex which ferry we would be taking back and he sort of laughed and said it was the oldest boat that goes between the islands, but that his friend owned them and it would be fine. Little did we know how much he was really laughing inside.
We got on the ferry and got our cabin numbers which were two different “rooms” since they don’t allow co-ed cabins. All w could say about it is that it was ghetto-fabulous. 1970’s ghetto-fabulous… but minus the fabulous. I’ll just say that I’m pretty sure it hadn’t had a thorough cleaning for several years and the vents of the room were stuffed with tissue paper so that the person sleeping on the top bunk wouldn’t have air blowing in their face. Thankfully John had some sleeping pills so we crashed. Three more women came into the room (there were 4 beds per room) but I hardly remember it. Our breakfast that morning was of Special K bars and Nescafe… it really helped my stomach with the rocking of the boat.
At 11am the next morning we arrived in Athens where we were greeted by another public transportation mess. We got into a cab and thankfully some girls were also in it that spoke enough English to tell us that the trains were not working that day. So we changed our plans quickly and decided to take the bus to Thessaloniki instead of the train. We got there and they only took cash, so I had to find a cash machine in a very sketchy part of Athens. Long story short, we ended up on the bus and got to Thessaloniki late that night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

hallway in the ferryhallway in the ferry
hallway in the ferry

looks like the ferry trash service is on strike too


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb