All about Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 8th 2005
Published: October 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Doug and I met up in Vienna and caught a flight to Athens. We were grateful for the warm, sunny weather, which made it more enjoyable to be out and about. We got up early the first day and were at it by 8:00 am. We went to the Acropolis first, where you can see the pictures of the Parthenon, Athena Nike Temple and the two theatres. There is massive restoration taking place there now, so we only took side-view shots of the Parthenon and couldn't get a good shot of any structure there. It was probably due to this construction going on, but our impression of the Acropolis as a whole is that it didn't meet our expectations. Based on photos in magazines and also the Olympic coverage with the aerial shots, that wasn't what we saw.

From what we heard from the locals, the structures are deteriorating at a rapid pace, so if you have any desire to see the ruins, we'd suggest that you book a ticket fairly soon. And if you do come, see them either at night or early in the morning.

Because we we're pretty confidant that we'd have nice weather, we took
ParthenonParthenonParthenon

A "Temple to the Virgin", Athena. Constructed during late 5 BC under the reign of Perikles, the Golden Age of Athens.
a 1 day cruise to three islands: Poros, Hydra and Aegina. Of the three, we liked Hydra the best. It was a small island that ıs sparsely inhabited and does not allow cars on it. That is where Doug picked up his new ride. We especially enjoyed just sitting at the outdoor cafe on the water tipping back a few.

On the boat ride back, we got a Greek folklore show that had some singing and dancing by people in traditional garb.

As for the standard food and beverage review you've all come to expect......we were very much ready for some lamb after weeks of pork, pork and pork. We walked around looking for a joint with lamb gyros and couldn't find one, so we ended up eating at sidewalk cafes moreso than sitdown restaurants, but what we got was pretty good. Funny thing, when we asked the person at the hotel where a good place for lamb gyros was on the day we left, she told us that gyros are made with pork, not lamb! We give the food a B.

We only tried one Greek beer, Mythos, which was good. Doug particularly liked it and partook a bit more than I did (OK, a fair amount more than I did), but we give it an A. We didn't try any Ouzo, so we cannot comment on that.

We didn't interact with many locals, but the ones we did we found nice enough. We had a very helpful travel agent (more on that later) and she recommended that we come back to Greece again, but not to Athens, but to cruise the islands. That we could see doing in the future.

Next we're off to Istanbul!

P.S.
If you are considering coming to Athens and renting a car, here are a couple of pointers for you: red lights, the painted white lane markers and the speed limits posted are all just suggestions for the driver to obey. And if you know this much, you can bet that it ain't particularly safe being a pedestrian either!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AthenaNike2AthenaNike2
AthenaNike2

Temple of Athena Nike ("Victory")
From Acropolis2From Acropolis2
From Acropolis2

Taken from the northern side of Acropolis - Temple of Hephaestus in the background.
Dionysus TheatreDionysus Theatre
Dionysus Theatre

This ıs the older theatre. Where the Classical Greece'S drama competitions were held. Great playwrights works (such as Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides) were performed here. It seated 15,000 people.
Herodes AtticusHerodes Atticus
Herodes Atticus

This ıs the newer theatre, built later in 161 AD. Currently hosts the Athens Festival.
Tower of the WindsTower of the Winds
Tower of the Winds

Built in 50 BC by Syrian astronomer Andronikos Kyrrhestas. Inside is a water clock that is operated by a stream from the Acropolis.
New TransportationNew Transportation
New Transportation

Doug's new rıde... Don Keyopolous
Temple of ZeusTemple of Zeus
Temple of Zeus

A place to worship Zeus. Only 16 colums are left of the original 104. Construction began in 515 BC. Political turmoil delayed completion 700 years. Completed by Kadrian in 131 AD. An arch dedicated to him is at the entrance.


11th October 2005

Don Keyopoulous?
Eeeeeiiiiieeeeeuuuuuwwwww! :)
11th October 2005

I'm hoping for Greece to be my next big adventure. Its really cool to see your pictures. I've heard pretty negative things about Athens so you'll have to fill me in a lot more when you get back. Thanks for the updates.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb