Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 11th 2018
Published: June 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I have been very delinquent in keeping up with my blog posts, mostly because Sophie and I have been so busy being amazed by the sites and then further amazed by the Seabourne cruise ship we will be on for 17 days.

Following my last post, we flew from Munich to Athens, spending two beautiful nights in a 5 star hotel and touring the ancient sites around Athens, all arranged by our cruise company.

The Hotel Grande Bretagne was just amazing with luxury furnishing though out. Best of all, the roof top restaurant and bar had an unbelievable view of the Acropolis and the Parthenon.

During the time, we toured the Acropolis, the Parthenon and the Acropolis Museum. To say such antiquities were amazing is an understatement.

It is hard to beat the Parthenon. But on the last night, we took a ride to the very lower tip of the main Greek Island, to see the Temple of Poseidon and the sunset over the Aegean Sea and the mountains. What a beautiful site! Can’t adequately describe it, so I have posted a few pictures, which are worth a thousand words.

On Saturday, we finally boarded the Seabourne cruise ship Encore. This is an all inclusive cruse, and as promised, just luxury accommodations and luxury service throughout.

On Sunday we docked at Nafplion, Greece and went on a tour of Mycenae & Epidaurus which were early civilization sites from the 13th century BC. These sites were built long before the Acropolis. It was very interesting to see the ingenuity of these people, so long ago. How they collected water; how they built these amazing structures without modern technology; and finally the theatre in Epicurus, which has such perfect acoustics, one can hear softly spoken words on stage all the way to the top row.

So far, our trip has been filled. Today is Monday, June 11, and we have a little downtime to catch up. Many days yet to go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb