Athens: What's new is still old.....


Advertisement
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Pláka
May 2nd 2022
Published: May 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We have long looked forward to the Athens portion of this trip as we would have the opportunity meet up with Dave’s sister Susan and her husband Jeff. We knew this would be a special travel treat. Susan and Jeff have worked hard over the years, plus they raised and home schooled six children. They intended to go to Greece on their anniversary many years ago. Life events kept postponing the tripâ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Fresh fish in the marketFresh fish in the market
Fresh fish in the market

Athens Central Market
Gold Burial CoveringGold Burial Covering
Gold Burial Covering

Covering for the body and face of an infant.



4th May 2022

antiquity statues
Love the old old statues and buildings from 2400 years ago. Thanks for the Poseidon and other mythology reminders. I don't think the funicular was there in 1987 when I was there. lol.
5th May 2022

Antiquity statues
I took lots of great photos at the museum. I didn’t want to post too many. I am not sure the funicular was there in 2003. At least I have no memories of it.
5th May 2022

Lovely photos
Never been to Athens and your pictures are most inviting, thanks for sharing. Glad you were safe on May 1st, even if instead of admiring museums, you did watch the unresting protests that are universal. Great greetings.
5th May 2022

Lovely photos
Hopefully you will get to Athens sooner than later. The protest was civilized.
7th May 2022

Odyssey
It looks like you guys are having your own Odyssey around the Med . There is so much to see in Athens Greece and her Islands ...you make me want to go back. It’s always a difficult choice to return somewhere or go somewhere anew . I’m trying to balance that now as we start to travel again . Looking forward to hearing how you like Malta .
8th May 2022

Odyssey
Maybe we should have called the blog Mediterranean Odyssey. We would like to go back in the future and do a few more islands. We didn't take the time on this trip.
8th May 2022
Guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Still Life
A magic travel moment that by capturing will endure. I always wonder when I see guards in still life how long they are ordered to keep that pose. Maybe a dream job to them...but does have its drawbacks!!!
8th May 2022
Guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Still Life
Many magical moments on these travels. It is amazing how they stand still so long and how well they performing at the changing of the guard. Lots of practice. I'm sure it is an elite position. Thanks for commenting.
8th May 2022
Moussaka

Food!
I've never had moussaka as an individual serving and it looks fabulous! What a lovely idea to meet up with siblings while travelling, looks like fun was had. You seem to be having a great trip around the Med... so lovely to see travel slowly returning to normal.
8th May 2022
Moussaka

Food!
The interesting thing about the individual moussaka is that is stays more moist. It was a great idea... (plus covid safe). We are enjoying the Mediterranean. It is great to have travel slowly return and travel slowly.
8th May 2022

Birthplace of Democracy
Indeed, I love your point on how not all modern day politicians seem to understand the concept of democracy! Lovely to see beautiful Athens. I was there myself in August 2003 - I wonder if our paths had crossed then without knowing it...! Ah, now I know who Brutus is, lol - go Ohio State!
8th May 2022

Birthplace of Democracy
We were in Athens in May 2003. Yes, Brutus is the Ohio State mascot and he is well traveled. Athens is still a nice place to visit.
11th May 2022

Amazing Athens
Great photos - I love the archeological sites and the archeological museum. I've never been to Athens, but one day ... the Plaka area sounds very interesting. The food also looked fantastic! So nice to be able to meet up with family when travelling.
12th May 2022

Amazing Athens
We stayed 6 nights this time and there is plenty to keep you busy. Lovely city with lots of historic sites and museums. You’ll have to consider going back.
30th May 2022
The Acropolis at night....

Athens
Athens looks so beautiful at night. I've been fortunate to visit Athens during the day but would love to go back to embrace the night-time vibe.
30th May 2022
The Acropolis at night....

Athens
A beautiful c city and so happy that we went back for a second visit.
16th June 2022
One more view

We've been to Athens twice
Athens is nice, we've been there twice. But next time we go to Greece we want to explore some of the rest of the country. It felt like that Athens doesn't appeal so much after visiting twice. But we know for sure that there is a lot to see elsewhere in Greece. It is a large country with a long history. /Ake
17th June 2022
One more view

Athens Twice
I don't agree your point. However, this time we did several things we had not done the first time so it was fun. We did a day trip to Delphi the first time and it was good. Plus we've been to Crete, Mykonos and Santorini and tightly recommend the islands.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb