ATHENS


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Kallithea
October 3rd 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having been to Athens some years ago, we knew what to expect, and so it was quite nice to be there again and go to the places we didnt get time for previously.
We arrived at Rafina port from Andros and took the bus to Athens. Wouldnt you think they would drop you off fairly central? No, we had a long walk and search to find the area we wanted to base in. It was about 5 o'clock in the evening, and we walked through Ormonia, a region to avoid at night, but fine during the daytime, to the Plaka. Last time we were here, we didnt get chance to explore this area because we were on a tour. We found it, and started to try to find a room for the next two nights. I think we tried about 6 before I started to call John by his new name.... Joseph. Everywhere was fully booked.... not a room to be found in all Athens it seemed. We found a youth hostel ( yes I know were not youths, but it really doesnt work like that...) but the only room they had left was down the warren of corridor, and the hutch very nearly had sawdust and straw on the floor.... let alone that the boglettes were miles away. And they wanted 55 euros!. We plodded on. After another 3 or 4 hotels, we finally found one with a lovely room, and breakfast for only 70 euros. Happy :-)
For anyone thinking of spending the 15 euro per person on the open top bus tour, I'd say dont bother. It was a wee bit boring, one or two points of interest, but thats all, over an hour and a halfs tour. Still, nice to sit down for a while.
The changing of the guards is well worth a look. They change every hour.... we watched them marching down the street and into the square... then the two old guards do the goose step as they change with the two new ones. I must look up the history of the goose step because I cant think why it is traditional, and not only that, it looks utterly ridiculous... there must be a point to it.
The Plaka is a warren of streets with shops, eateries, stalls, all under the shadow of the Parthenon. There are also ruins to look at while you wander and the food is good and reasonably priced.
Onwards, to the ferry which will take us to Italy.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb