Wismar- a pleasant German town


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 1st 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 53.8882, 11.462

The ship docked in Wismar before we had risen sleepily from our bed to our usual breakfast in the cabin brought by the Butler. We use him as the alarm clock! It is cloudy but warm so we take raincoats in case but in the end don't need them. Wismar is a quaint Gothic German town with marina and a very nice market square surrounded by old buildings and lots of cafes. There are several huge brick gothic churches of which we went in one. The highlight of the walk was buying a new hat for Stefan as he had forgotten to bring one. However , it was warm and pleasant and we had one and a half hours walk to and from the ship round the old town. If you happen to be wondering why the ship stopped here it is because from here people can take the trip to Berlin. However we did not fancy 8 hours total in the coach so hence the local stroll. Historically Wismar was where the Canadians and Russians came together during the second world war. People in Wismar thought that they would end up in the West but unfortunately they ended up in the East and did not join West Germany until the Wall came down in 1989.After our usual lunch in the restaurant I went to the hairdressers on board. Later I am pleased to say we came first equal in the trivia quiz. Sail away was at 8pm and on the quay a band set up to say goodbye and the town fired their guns- thankfully not at the ship!We had a Brit table at dinner and once again were last in the restaurant and missed the show. Discussions continued in the Bar and once again had a late night. Cannot keep this up - must have an early night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb