Baltic Cruise - Warnemunde


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
September 11th 2015
Published: September 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

WARNEMUNDE, EAST GERMANY 9th Sept 2015

We docked very early at 06.15 and we were off the ship by about 08.15. The train station that is just opposite (reached via the underpass) is a five minute walk away and after trying to purchase tickets to Rostock (failed as we proffered 20 euros but needed a 10 euro note or less) took the 20minute ride into Rostock arriving at Platform 1 and 2. Went to Platform 7 and bought tickets as a cheap day return to Schwerin, about 1hr away. Easy journey and got off at Schwerin Mitte, a short 10minute walk down to the castle, although if you get off at Schwerin Hbf you can walk through the town to Schloss Castle.

It’s a fairytale castle on an island, with gold turrets, towers and an orangery as well as a grotto! The setting is quite stunning and the orangery was adorned with flowers and statues. The inside has a museum on the first floor and then you can wander around through the impressive rooms, including a magnificent throne room. Outside the gardens are quite extensive and so we walked to the end of the formal gardens and to the other side for photos! We then had an hour and a half boat ride to Heldensee and Zeigelsee connected by narrow canals and low bridges. Lots of houses with verandas and holiday chalets.

We were going to get the 14.37 express train back to Rostock but it was running 2hrs late (very unusual for Germany!) so we had a pleasant hour wandering around Schwerin before catching the 15.51 train. Arrived in Rostock 16.49, went down another set of stairs to where the trams ran and caught the No 6 (or 5) tram, about three or four stops into the large square and Nueur Market. It’s a splendid historic centre with Gothic brick architecture, high gabled houses and richly ornamented facades dominated by St Mays Church ( Marienkirche) that is famous for its huge baroque organ and remarkable astronomical clock dating from 1472. Duly admired both and then wandered through the main pedestrianised street, past an interesting fountain (Fountain of Joy) outside the University (Germanys 3rd oldest University) to the Kropelin Gate built in 1280. An interesting and very pleasant little town.



Got a tram back to the train station and then the train back to Warnemunde where we walked along past all the fishermen and the promenades ending up in the town area. Another lovely little place, with beautiful houses, with verandas and loads of flowers! Walked the lighthouse and watched the sunset over the beach before strolling back along back the waterfront ( had a cone of delicious fish and chips – we didn’t realise that all the boats parked along the side were floating fish and chip shops!!) before getting back on the boat for a quick change before dinner at 20.15!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb