Dachau Concentration Camp


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 4th 2014
Published: July 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The pouring rain set the somber mood as we arrived. The looming buildings gave us chills as we stepped on to the grounds. "Arbeit macht frei" read the gates, as the realization of the atrocities that occurred at Dachau concentration camp swept over us. Our tour guide was not the best; however, the camp still left a lasting impression on the students. The first thing we learned about was the railroad right in front of the gates. The Nazis never used it, but the tracks still remain on the grounds. We then entered the actual camp grounds and headed to the museum/memorial building. There we saw where the prisoners were registered. We next saw where they were housed. In the beginning, Dachau was used for housing political prisoners, and as the war progressed, the prisoners expanded to include Jews, social "outsiders" (those who were out of work, alcoholics, etc.), homosexuals, and more. Our last stop on the tour was the crematorium, the only original building left in Dachau after the camp was mostly torn down after the war. Overall the trip was very interesting and impactful; it was something we will never forget.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb