Cuckoo Clocks


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 15th 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wow ... Lots of driving and driving and driving today. Today was the day we picked to visit the Black Forest, Baden-Baden and close with a visit to Pirmasens and Muenchweiler.

Connie and Emily both have cuckoo clocks now .... After comparing and debating and evaluating somewhere close to 1,000 clocks. We were back and forth between stores looking for the perfect clock. And they both finally found what they wanted. So what we learned was ... 2 weights are clocks that cuckoo but don't play music; 3 weight clocks cuckoo and also play music; but you can turn the music off. They have clocks that you wind every day, or every week, or ones with batteries that you don't have to wind. Also, in new cuckoo clocks, the cuckoo has a light sensor and he won't cuckoo in the dark. Anyway, we had a lot of fun looking at all of the different clocks.

In Baden-Baden, we toured the rose garden. This is a for a garden near the center of town, supposedly built by a husband for his wife who loved roses. Very nice and I suspect that Connie and mom may be interested in improving their rose gardens when we get home using some oft he ideas from the roses gardens they have seen here. We finally managed to find Emily's ice cream, after corkscrewing through the down town.

Next we were off to Pirmasens, where Mom was hopeful she would recognize something from when she lived there 59 years ago. We looked first for the apartment in town they lived in before the on base housing opened up. We found the street, but none of the buildings looked familiar. Next we went to the Kaserne. Funny she recognized the office buildings, and we found what looked like Army family housing, it we couldn't find a hurdling that had all of the features she remembered ... 3 entrances, balconies, no windows on the end a of the buildings. We did note though, that a lot of the old base has been torn down and replaced with other things, so we think that is what must have happened. Next we were off to Muenchweiler where Connie was born ... We were racing to get there while it was still light, and we just made it. We got our picture in front of the town sign ... And then found where we think the hospital was ... Again, we believe the buildings have been torn down and replaced with new buildings.

And now, we are headed home. Tomorrow we are sleeping in and touring Rothenurg. Not too much driving now until we head back to Frankfurt.



We'll post pictures tomorrow ...right now we are all tired.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb