Botanischer Garten


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 10th 2012
Published: June 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a late breakfast of flaky local croissants, we set out for the local beauty spot, the botannical gardens. This beautiful area is well maintained, several greenhouses devoted to special plants such as cactii and natural outdoor areas that are cultivated to be as close to their natural settings as possible. Imagine my surprise when we stumbled across a couple of mature grass trees..... Several large ponds strewn with lilly pads are home to the local and very noisy green frogs. Filling their sac like cheeks with air, their cheerful calls attract visitors and locals alike. Even the bees here are different, large black bees were busy gathering pollen from the amazing array of flowers. I just couldn't get enough of the different colours, fragrances and beauty that seemed to appear randomly thoughout the gardens. Though I am sure it is very cleverly planned.

Stopping for cappuccinos at a local cafe, we enjoyed shady respite from an ardous walk. Next stop was the old town hall, an ancient medieval building that was the centre of town life. Vivid frescos adorned all the walls and depicted the key events of life: birth, marriage and death. Seems that some things never change...

Returning to Niklausberg, we settled down to cups of hot tea and listened to the distant sounds of shouts from a local soccer match, reflecting the enthusiasm left over from a German victory against Portugal last night. Yesterday I had witnessed fervent scenes of German loyalty at the train station and now it all made sense!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th June 2012

Beautiful gardens
What a lovely way to explore a place Deb. I imagine you relaxed and happy as you see new sites and sit back with a coffee to just soak up the ambience. Wonderful!! Thanks for the updates - they are terrific!
12th June 2012

Gardens
I am so glad you have enjoyed my entries Melinda, it has become a highlight of my day to sit down and capture all the wonderful moments. I will miss it when life returns to normal. Hopefully one day you will go back and visit all the places you loved, and when you do I will follow your travel blog with much enthusiasm! Deb xx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb