Rain, Rain, Go Away


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Schleswig-Holstein » Wenningstedt
August 7th 2014
Published: August 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Rainy days on an island tend to be a bit of a downer. I mean, you're on an island with nice beaches and beautiful water, and you've got no use of them. Not to mention that Sylt is only accessible by train; any vehicles get here on special train cars, so it's not easy to get off the island either.

However, luckily, Sylt has its fair share of bleak days, whether from rain or extreme winds, so they're prepared. We went up to the northern town on the island, called List, where there's a museum on the nature and the natural history of Sylt. Apparently this island has been hammered by hurricanes, and actually only appeared as an island in the 1600s, when a series of storms split it from the mainland. Basically the gist of that whole exhibit was "climate change is quite literally going to destroy this island because it's not super tall and the ocean is rising."



By the time we left, the sun had made its way outside, so we had gorgeous weather for the rest of the day. We took advantage by going to the beach.At 8:00pm. We are so far north here that the sunset happens around9:45, and it doesn't truly get dark until at least10:30. When we were walking back from the beachat 9:00, we were still commenting on how it felt like6:30or 7. The water also stays warm late into the evening.



On returning from the beach, we had a delicious baked cod for dinner, managing to somehow cram 13 people around a table made for 8 (which comes with chairs that are not conducive to fitting more chairs in). Marie's grandparents and cousin are on Sylt as well, so they came over and ate with us. We should be seeing them again tomorrow when we all head back to the beach for another day of sun, sunburns, wine on the beach (gotta love Europe), and, of course, fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb