Goodbye, Milan


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Schleswig-Holstein » Wenningstedt
August 5th 2014
Published: August 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello, Wenningstedt! That is the name of the town where Marie's family -- our hosts -- stay, on the island of Sylt, in northern Germany. By northern I mean that the northern point of Sylt is the northernmost point of the country of Germany, and is in fact north of the German-Denmark mainland border.

After an early flight from Milan and a hiccup at Hamburg (both Marie and the arrivals board said I would come in to Terminal 2. I came into Terminal 1.), which caused both Samii and I to freak out while trying to find each other for the 40 minutes after we should have found each other, she and I were on our way to Sylt. The system was far easier than it looked when we booked our tickets, but we hopped on the Deutschebahn (train) in downtown, and it took us (very smoothly and quietly) straight to Westerland, which is the main town on Sylt and about a 10 minute drive from the house. Samii surprisingly stayed awake, even though she left at 8:00pm German time yesterday and barely slept on the flights (Boston-Reykjavik-Copenhagen-Hamburg). By the time she went to bed, she'd been up for almost 28 straight hours.



Upon arriving on Sylt, we headed straight to the beach, then back to the house to drop off our backpacks. In retrospect, the reverse order may have been preferable; however, we only spent all of five minutes at the beach. After dropping our stuff off, we went back to the beach, where we spent most of the afternoon. Despite being on the ocean-facing side of the island, the water was shockingly warm and had amazing waves for body surfing.



2 of Marie's 3 younger sisters also have a guest each, so there are currently 10 of us in the house. It's quite a group! The parents were out to dinner, so we entertained ourselves in that respect, then walked to Westerland for crepes and drinks, before shooing those of us who travelled (especially those of us who haven't slept in a day) to bed. I'm excited to see what tomorrow will hold, now that I have unplanned days ahead!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb