Leipzig: revisited


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Leipzig
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in Leipzig in 2010 and walked the music trail and visited Bach, Mendelssohn and Schumann sites. This time we only spent one full day here and decided to take it easy after Berlin. Apart from walking around the small city area, we visited the old town hall on the Markt. This building is part of the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum and is a beautiful Renaissance building with a baroque tower. Apart from the ballroom and council chamber there is an exhibition taking one through Leipzig from medieval times to the present spread over 2 floors. The peaceful revolution of 1989 against the GDR started here. One place that we did revisit was the Coffee Baum cafe, an old coffee house and museum that serves wonderful coffee of course and delicious warm apple streudel!

After 6 weeks of travel, I badly needed to have my hair seen to, so a trip to a hairdresser was on the agenda. We are half way through our travels!

Next stop Marktredwitz then onto Plzen (Czech Republic)! We will need to change some euros into Czech Koruna!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement


Bach statue - St Thomas ChurchBach statue - St Thomas Church
Bach statue - St Thomas Church

Bach was choirmaster here for many years
Old Rathaus (Town Hall)Old Rathaus (Town Hall)
Old Rathaus (Town Hall)

Marktplatz (Town Square)
Sketch of Clara and Robert SchumannSketch of Clara and Robert Schumann
Sketch of Clara and Robert Schumann

Plaster case of Clara's hand - she was a pianist and composer. Lived in Leipzig in their early married life.



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb