Dresden Delights


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
June 27th 2015
Published: July 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Dresden Dresden Dresden

Paddle steamers preparing for a cruise on the Elbe.
Monday 29 June 2015

Yesterday's taste of Dresden, together with success in finding a useful map of the city had us really looking forward to exploring in more detail today. We were glad to use the bus for transport as there is a stop right outside our hotel on the city fringe, so convenient. This also gave our tour driver a break for the day.

First task in the city was to find breakfast and so we did. A traditionally furnished Swiss restaurant proved irresistible with the most beautiful Bircher muesli complete with fruit and yoghurt. A different choice was made by the other tour member, but was equally enjoyable. Then began our city stroll, taking in the sights and enjoying the slower pace struck by fellow tourists. With the ever present cobbles a slower pace is easier on the feet and helps maintain one's dignity.

We knew that Dresden suffered terrible damage towards the end of WWll, when Allied bombers laid waste to many of the buildings, apparently in reprisal for the German bombing of Coventry as well as to hasten the end of the conflict. We also knew a massive programme of restoration has resulted in
Dresden Dresden Dresden

Frauenkirche finally restored after being in ruins since 1945.
many of these beautiful structures being returned to their original state. Today we could clearly see which portions remained from the original buildings and which were part of the restoration. Old parts of walls were quite black compared with the clean look of restored portions. We understand the sandstone used in the buildings blackens with age. The beautiful Frauenkirche stands proudly with Martin Luther keeping guard outside and passing horses and carriages together with vintage vehicles adding to the ambience. The huge palace with a string quartet playing under the arches, the many squares lined with graceful restored mansions many of which are now high end hotels, the Bruhlsche Terrasse overlooking the river: all these were very beautiful.

We found four small metal plaques embedded in a footpath, one for each of four people from the same Jewish family who were deported and died at Auschwitz. This was the only mention we found of the horror that must have been played out in this and so many other cities.

Dresden is a wonderful city, still restoring parts of itself as it demonstrates that destruction does not need to be the end of the story. Dresden's story will continue
Dresden Dresden Dresden

A mosaic wall depicting the Dukes of Saxony.
and we are so glad we spent some time here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Dresden Dresden
Dresden

The School of Art and Architecture - Hochschule fur bildende Kunste.
Dresden Dresden
Dresden

Albertinum
DresdenDresden
Dresden

An archeological dig in the city centre of remains of the city after WWII.
Dresden Dresden
Dresden

Plaques commemorating a family deported in WWII.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb