Random stuff :)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So this is my first weekend living in Dresden! last weekend I went to a wedding in Werdau, so that's why its my first. It's amazing how different a city is from a town like Apex. There's soooo much to see and do all the time, and tons of stuff to do at night since it's pretty much a college city. It's pretty much the opposite from apex, where if you want to do anything besides go out to eat or the movies you have to drive somewhere else haha. There are so many different kinds of bars or clubs you can go to, you can be picky about exactly which kind you'd like. And of course there's movie theaters here too which i can go to if i miss home, but they're pretty expensive and few are in english, so maybe once my german gets better I'll go to more movies. There's a bohemian district too, which is by that artist's district that I mentioned before. Beside's all that night life stuff, there's so much to see during the day too. A lot of times after school when i dont have anything to do i just pick a part of the town, like a few streets or something and just walk around seeing what kinds of parks there are or shops to see. Im wondering how long it'll take before I see all of it! Today im hoping to go to the top of the Frauenkirche to take pictures of the city from above. If i dont today though then tomorrow is also good, its something called "Tag des offenen Denkmals" which means that all the historical buildings or sections that are usually private will be open this one day of the year for people to see.

I'm reaaaaaally hoping that my german improves quickly though. I feel like i'm learning things in school, but at the same time im not even close to where i feel like i should be. It's really frustrating to want to talk to someone, but to not be able to say anything because you dont know their language. For example, there's an italian girl in my class that's sooo nice and i'd like to talk to her, but she doesn't really speak english and we both dont know german so it's hard to communicate. It's funny how something like that can really makes me miss home sometimes. Even though i like it here it makes everything so unfamiliar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



11th September 2010

Hang in there!
Keep us with you on all your tours around the city and countryside. We really enjoy hearing about all your experiences. Before you know it the language will start coming to you more quickly. Then before you know it you'll start thinking in german, then you'll know you've made the transition. Love you Mia, Grandpa and Grandma Yakel
12th September 2010

Hang in there Mia
You'll be fluent in German before you know it. I'm glad you're getting to see the city. It looked very interesting as we passed it on our way from Prague to Berlin.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb