If they offer me another sausage I'll scream!!!!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Chemnitz
September 1st 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

river  /  rioriver  /  rioriver / rio

from the platform is where the paragliding (I may have made this word up, I'm not sure!!) guys jump into the emptiness / desde esta plataforma es desde donde los que hacen parapente se tiran al vacio
With the (black and) white cliffs of Dover (see panorama) we said goodbye to England once more wondering how many more times we'll say it before we really mean it!!, this time, from the ferry that will take us to France... I was sea-sick as soon as we stepped inside that damned nut shell rolling on the big waves, as big as they could be in a windless day, at least, 20 cmts!!!... I had to sit all the way and I chose the seats next to the toilet... just in case... fortunately, I didn't need them, but, judging from the number of ladies who went in and out of that toilet I think I wasn't the only sea-sick one!!!

I'm the kind of person who thinks that traveling is not about the destination, but the way to get there and, after driving through 5 countries in 11 hours in a van the size of a pack of cigarretes and full of carpenter's tools that cracked and complained as a granny after eating beans, and not seeing anything at all (with the exception of getting lost and driving through Bruxelles... been there, done that?? hooray for Europe!!!) , my
face / caraface / caraface / cara

the rock was covered with carvings / la roca estaba cubierta de relieves
theory was confirmed... we must travel like the snails: slowly and with the house on our backs to stop where ever we want... but we weren't really traveling...were we?... we needed to get to Germany asap to spend some time with Dax's family... after my persuasion convinced him to spend 5 weeks in Spain and only 2 in Germany (hey!! I did it for him... I knew he needed 5 more kilos and a intensive Spanish lesson... "mas cerveza Dax?", my grandmother kept repeating to him).

Germany, the country where they have a toothpaste for the morning and a different one for the evening; where people drive at 30 kms/h when the sign says so, but then at 180 kms/h in the motorways as there are no speed limits; where the neighbors greet you on the street, even though they don't know you, but then some of their relatives demonstrate on the streets for the "neo-nazi's rights" (they weren' too many people, though); where you have sausages for breakfast, lunch and dinner and wher teenagers swallow the anti babies pill with a sip of beer...

On the way, we stoped at Reinsfield, to visit tractor-driving Gandter and
me  / yome  / yome / yo

it doesn't look too high, but it was about 50 mts... a big challenge for me / no parece muy alto, pero estaba a unos 50 mts... un reto para mi
super-sweet Schlottie and spend a day with them. They took us to Altfelss, wich is a group of rocks standing about 50 mts high and to which you acces climbing a staircase with steps as wide as the bar the girls in gimnastics jump up and down (how can they do it, I wonder?) but where you are rewarded with a fantastic view of the valley; then we got a great dinner and off we went into the cigarrete box again to drive for another 8 hours... of course with the compulsory traffic jam provoked by who knows what and in which we were stucked for an hour, feeling like a movie star as every passenger on every car that passed us(why is it that when you're in a traffic jam all the lanes go faster than yours??) looked in awe to our right handed car, they even pointed us out with their fingers!!!... now I know how Brangelina's twins feel...

Going to Seiffen was like stepping into a Grimms brother's tale; is the village where most of the wodden decorations, very typical in Germany, come from; they´re used mostly in Christmas, but they make (by hand) them for many different occasions; my favorite ones are the "smoky men", reproductions of different proffesions (from carpenters to teachers, from shop keepers to fire fighters) into which you get an incense cone and the smoke comes out through a hole in the mouth where a tiny pipe is hanging, so it looks as if they're smoking... everything looks like inside a tale: the streetlights had teddy bears on them, human sized wodden statues rest in balconies, the streets are decorated with miniatures, doors, windows... I felt like Gretel, walking with Hansel (aka as Dax) next to me, hand in hand through a village made of biscuit and liquorice... I'd love to see it in winter, covered in snow... I bet is so beautiful that makes you puke...

We also went to a Round the World trip in two hours, so we could "tick some boxes", as some people would say. In Lichtenstain (the German county, not the European country!) a mini-world waits to be discovered: we've been to many German monuments, to Africa, the Sydney opera house, the Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Pisa Tower, Egypt... but they didn't have a single monument from Spain... well, guys, is not as if we don't have many where to choose from... have you ever heard about the Alhambra in Granada, the Mezquita in Cordoba, the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona or tha Santiago Cathedral...?

The Toy Museum, also in Lichtenstain was the cuttest little thing and, although a bit creepy sometimes, it was really nice...


Books

This 10 days I read:


Map of Bones, by James Rolling; it is a summer book, as I like to say, meaning that it's an easy read, kind of like a magazine because you don't need to be completely focused on the plot and you can read it on the beach while you keep an eye on the children playing football three towels further down so they don't hit you with the ball, the other eye on your bags, to make sure the water is not getting warm in the sun and nobody is trying to steal them, and your ears on the conversation the two girls next to you are having to know all the juicy bits of their lives "and I was like, oh my God!", "and then she was like, oh my God!".


Guildford, our town. Uncovering the stgories behind the facts, by David Rose; and, how did I get a book about good old Guildford in the middle of Saxony?, you may wonder; well, when I met Dax, back in 2002, he was working for a super rich guildfordian who, as a token of appreciation, gave him this book; Six years later, I discovered it on a shelf in Dax's dad's flat as he was moving out... it was a life saver, really, as I was going through the other book at light speed... now I kind of miss Guildford and I want to go to all the places the book talks about when we get back there in a few days... did you know that there was s synagoge in the High Street, right under what now is Accesorize? or that they found some mysterious bones when they were excavating to build what now is the Friary shopping centre?... well, now you know it!!!


P.S.: the photos on this blog have weird size, click on them to see them better





Si me ofrecen otra salchicha, chillare!!!




Con los acantilados blancos (y negros) de Dover (ver panorama), dijimos adios, otra vez, a Inglaterra, preguntandonos cuantas veces mas lo diremos antes de que sea la definitiva!!, esta vez desde el barco que nos llevaria a Francia... estaba mareada en cuanto puse un pie en ese maldito cascaron de nuez que se balanceaba al ritmo de olas gigantes, tan grandes como podian ser en un dia sin viento, por lo menos 20 cmts!!!... tuve que ir sentada todo el camino y escogi unos asientos cercanos a la puerta de los banhos... por si acaso... al final no los necesite pero, a juzgar por el numero de mujeres que entraron y salieron, creo que no era la unica que estaba mareada!!!

Soy del tipo de persona que cree que, el viajar, no es llegar a un destino, sino disfrutar del camino tambien y, despues de conducir atravesando 5 paises en 11 horas en una furgoneta del tamanho de un paquete de tabaco que hacia ruido y protestaba como una abuela despues de comer fabada, no vimos nada (con la excepcion de perdernos y cruzar Bruselas, ?ya cuenta como que hemos estado? viva Europa!!),asi que mi teoria no hizo mas que confirmarse... el viajar se debe hacer como lo hacen los caracoles: despacio y con la casa a cuestas para parar donde quieras... pero, en realidad, no estabamos viajando, no?... necesitabamos llegar lo mas rapido posible a Alemania para pasar un tiempo con la familia de Dax... despues de mi persuasion de pasar 5 semanas en Espanha y solo 2 en Alemania... ?que tiran mas 2 tetas que dos carretas?... !!de eso nada!!, lo hice por su bien, porque sabia que necesitaba 5 kilos mas y una leccion intensiva de espanhol ..."?mas cerveza, Dax?", repetia mi abuela constantemente.

Alemania: el pais donde hay una pasta de dientes para por la manhana y otra diferente para por la noche; donde la gente conduce a 30 kms/h cuando la senhal lo ordena y despues lo compensan a 180 kms/h en la autopista porque no hay limite; donde los vecinos te saludan por la calle aunque no te conozcan, pero luego ves a alguno de sus familiares manifestandose en la tele por los "derechos de los neo-nazis" (debo decir que eran cuatro gatos en la manifestacion... si se puede llamar asi); donde se desayuna, come y cena, salchicha y donde las adolescentes se toman la pildora anti bebes con
Borobudur temple, Java, IndonesiaBorobudur temple, Java, IndonesiaBorobudur temple, Java, Indonesia

It looks so real / parece tan real
una sorbito de cerveza..

En el camino, paramos en Reinsfield, a visitar al conductor de tractores Gandter y a la superdulce Schlottie, y pasar un dia con ellos. Nos llevaron a Altfelss, que es un conjunto de piedras que se levantan unos 50 mts y a donde accedes a traves de unas escaleras tan anchas como la barra fija de gimnasia deportiva (?como lo haran esas ninhas?) pero desde donde una vista al valle fantastica hace que merezca la pena; despues de cenar nos metimos en el paquete de cigarrillos otra vez para conducir otras 8 horas, incluyendo, por supuesto el obligatorio atasco de trafico provocado por sabe Dios que, donde estuvimos parados una hora sintiendonos como estrellas de cine ya que cada coche que nos pasaba (?porque cuando estas en un atasco, los coches de los otros carriles siempre avanzan mas que el tuyo?), se quedaba flipando porque teniamos el volante a la derecha... hasta nos senhalaban con el dedo... ahora ya se lo que sienten los gemelos de Angelina Jolie...

Ir a Seiffen fue como meterse en un cuento de los hermanos Grimm; es el pueblo de donde vienen todas esas decoraciones de madera tan tipicas
burg Eltz, Münstermaifeldburg Eltz, Münstermaifeldburg Eltz, Münstermaifeld

Dax took some magic beans that made him grow a lot!! / Dax se comio una habas magicas que le hicieron crecer un monton
de Alemania; usadas sobre todo en Navidad, pero construidas (a mano) para diferentes ocasiones; las que mas me gustan son los "hombres fumadores", que son reproducciones de muchas profesiones (desde carpinteros a profesores, pasando por tenderos o bomberos) a las que se les pone dentro un cono de incienso y el humo les sale por una abertura en la boca de la que les cuelga una pipa y dan la impresion de que estan fumando... todo era de cuento, las farolas estaban iluminadas con ositos, en los balcones descansaban figuras gigantes de madera, las calles decoradas con miniaturas, las ventanas, las puertas, las fachadas... me senti como Gretel con Hansel (tambien conocido como Dax) a mi lado, paseando de la mano por un pueblo construido en galleta y regaliz... me gustaria poder verlo en invierno, cubierto de nive... tiene que ser tan bonito que seguro que da asco...

Fuimos a dar la vuelta al mundo, en apenas dos horas, en Lichtenstain (el condado aleman, no el pais europeo!), donde un mini-mundo espera a ser descubierto: estuvimos en muchos monumentos alemanes, en Africa, la Opera House de Sydney, la Estatua de la Libertad, el Taj Mahal, torre Eiffel, torre de
details  /  detallesdetails  /  detallesdetails / detalles

it doesn't even look like a miniature / no parece una miniatura
Pisa, Egipto... pero no encontre ningun monumento espanhol... y no es que no tengamos donde escoger, eh?... habeis oido hablar de la Alhambra de Granada, la Mezquita de Cordoba, la Sagrada Familia de Barcelona o la Catedral de Santiago?

El museo de los juguetes, tambien en Lichtenstain era precioso y, aunque algunas munhecas acojonaban un poco, merecio la pena...


Libros

Estas 10 dias he leido:


Map of Bones, de James Rolling; es un libro de verano, como a mi me gusta llamarlo, refiriendome a que es de lectura facil, casi como una revista, ya que la trama no es muy complicada y puedes leerlo en la playita, mientras miras con el rabillo de un ojo a los ninhos que, tres toallas mas abajo, estan jugando al futbol para que no te den un balonazo, con el otro ojo, vigilas tus bolsas, para que el agua no se caliente al sol y nadie se las lleve y, a la vez, mantener las orejas en la conversacion que mantienen las dos muchachas a tu lado, para enterarte de todo lo que hay que saber de sus vidas: "yo le dije, o sea de verdad!", "y ella
Frauenkirche, DresdenFrauenkirche, DresdenFrauenkirche, Dresden

the original one was destroyed during the war and it layed on the ground until the nineties, when they rebuild it, the used some of the original blocks, the dark ones / la original fue destruida durante la guerra, y estuvo tirada hasta los noventa, cuando la reconstruyeron, usaron algunos de los bloques originales, los oscuros
me dijo, o sea, de verdad".

Guildford, our town. Uncovering the stories behind the facts, de David Rose; ?como un libro sobre el viejo Guildford ha llegado a mis manos en medio de Sajonia?, os preguntareis; pues cuando conoci a Dax, alla por el 2002, estaba trabajando para un Tio Gilito guildfordiano que, como agradecimiento por su duro trabajo, no le recompenso con unas vacaciones pagadas en el Caribe, sino con un libro sobre la historia de Guildford, lo cual yo, ahora, le agradezco ya que, seguramente, no hubiera ido a esas vacaciones caribenhas, pero el libro me ha salvado de muchas horas de aburrimiento y ha hecho que quiera ir a Guildford a descubrir todos esos sitios misteriosos y fantasticos de los que habla el libro, por ejemplo, ?sabiais que en la High Street habia una sinagoga, bajo lo que ahora es Accesorize?, ?o que encontraron unos huesos misteriosos cuando excavaban para construir lo que ahora es el centro comercial Friary?... bueno, pues ahora ya lo sabes!!!


P.D.: Las fotos de este blog tienen un tamanho un poco raro, hazed click en ellas para verlas mejor




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Eiffel TowerEiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower

we've been to Paris, too / tambien estuvimos en Paris
walk like an egypcian  /  camina como un egipciowalk like an egypcian  /  camina como un egipcio
walk like an egypcian / camina como un egipcio

since as far as I can remeber, I wanted to go to Egypt... here i am!!! / desde q tengo memoria, siempre he querido ir a Egipto...aqui estoy!!
Lichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de LichtenstainLichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain
Lichtenstain toy museum / museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain

I'm not sure why he's crying, but I guess the bump on his head has something to do with it / no estoy segura de xq llora, pero creo q el chichon d la cabeza tiene algo q ver
Lichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de LichtenstainLichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain
Lichtenstain toy museum / museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain

do you notice something different with the globe?? / notais algo raro en el globo??
Lichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de LichtenstainLichtenstain toy museum  /  museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain
Lichtenstain toy museum / museo de los juguetes de Lichtenstain

cat and mouse from 1920!! / gato y raton de 1920!!
a bit strange  /  un poco raroa bit strange  /  un poco raro
a bit strange / un poco raro

I wonder who would buy this toys for their children... / me pregunto quien le compraba estos juguetes a sus hijos...
jump / saltajump / salta
jump / salta

Lugau, Saxony
kid  /  chavalkid  /  chaval
kid / chaval

protecting himself / protegiendose


8th September 2008

Hey, que no sera pa tanto...
Hey, guapisima, pues ya deberias de ir pensando que viajar se hace por la ilusion de llegar al destino, no pienses en el trayecto... Piensa en lo que disfrutaras en cuanto llegues, y asi tu mente estara en otra cosa. Por cierto, gracias Deni, Guapisima, ahora cada vez que vaya al Friary me entrara el yuyu pensando en lo que pueda haber debajo. Una sinagoga, ?, en Accesorize, la tienda de los accesorios o la peluqueria? Que fuerte.... Y tenerte que irte para enterarte de todo esto. Guys, enjoy the sausages and make the most of your family time. Big kiss. PS: Deni, they never bought me those dolls and look where i ended. he he he.

Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 32; qc: 133; dbt: 0.1755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb