this forBLT Day #21: The Viking commercials are true!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
May 14th 2015
Published: May 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

When those cool Viking commercials air, we always wondered if the views would be as beautiful as they claim. Well, today we can definitively say that the claims about the beauty of the Middle Rhein are true! Nothing I can say or show with my limited photographic skills would do justice to how beautiful and peaceful it is to cruise this area.

Our day started with a stop at the Marksburg Castle, which is the only castle on the Rhein which was never destroyed in war. Built in the 1200s and expanded over the next 400 years, it really looks like something you would expect from a period movie. Getting to it is treacherous because the "steps" are really just cut rough cut outs in the stone. Getting up was bad and coming down just as bad. But for us the trip was worth it. Our very knowledgeable, and VERY German guide, did a great job of explanning history and describing lif styles at different periods in the castle's history. The whole experience was fascinating.

Then we returned to the ship to begin our afternoon cruise of the Middle Rhein. In summary, I felt like I was in one of those Viking commercials. It was spectacular! Except for seeing Curry in Ireland, the was the best day of our trip so far! Describing it would be like describing the Grand Canyon, so I'll just end by saying that Bowen and I recommend this cruise for your bucket list if at all possible!

PS if you aren't relaxed on this cruise day, you need to be checked out ASAP!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb