Thursday in Ahrweiler


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
June 12th 2014
Published: June 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Thursday



Another great weather day. We went to Ahrweiler today. Originally to see the West German Atomic Bomb Shelter - which was closed - and ended up spending the afternoon in the walled city instead. What a cute little town .. Lots of shops and restaurants ..and the weather was perfect for strolling. Once we were done there, we went off to the Bridge at Remagen, and toured the site and museum there. The Meuse, is the Peace Museum, and it had some interesting artifacts and exhibits. We decided on an early day and then fought with Garmin all the way home. Tomorrow we change locations and will be just east of Frankfurt. Dave continued to make sure we got where we were going, and were almost legally parked.



The walled town was a pleasant surprise. Cute shops . Found a dress for Emily that we all loved. Connie has exhibited another gene that she got from her dad . The never too many bags gene so she got a new bag. We have really enjoyed just driving around the countryside . The German fields are very precisely laid out and maintained . Oh and we forgot to tell you that two nights ago we had a heck of a storm,maybe even a tornado. So the folks in the panhandle that were so happy for the rain I brought them, just be thankful. And by the way I am still fighting the war. I have no sympathy for the German casualties or for the terrible way they were treated in the POW camps after Remagen. Tee hee. We won. At the Remagen site there was a breakdown of the casualties, soldiers and civilians. No surprises in most of the numbers, but for the Poles who lost just a few soldiers,but a raft of civilians , all the Jews. Makes me sad.



Connie here. Wonderful day today. The weather is exceptionable. Nice and cool at night, not too hot during the day. The first two days we were here, it was beastly hot. Right now we are all sitting on the patio, talking, blogging, and reading. Tomorrow we leave Grevenbroich and move to the next place. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Emily is up next.



Today was a very laid back and nice day, we originally had planned to go to a bunker but it was closed today. We decided to then visit the walled town of Ahrweiler, which was really nice and it had a nice pedestrian mall. We ate lunch within the walls, and then left to Remagen, where we visited the bridge and the museum, which was very cool and nicely laid out. After that, we headed home. Tomorrow brings a new house and a beach day : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb