Christmas in Mainz ( Weihnachtszeit in Mainz)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Mainz
December 22nd 2009
Published: December 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

DSC01960DSC01960DSC01960

The huge and impressive Dom, (German for cathedral), towers over the Christmastime festivities in Mainz.
Dear Friends and Readers:

I have started and not finished several editions of this travel blog in the past few months. It is my hope to resume writing about my beloved Switzerland in the near future.


With the Christmas season once again upon us, I have had a lot of time for reflection on the past. I want to bring you a taste of an experience I had a couple of Christmas' ago.


In Germany Christmas festivities are celebrated during the whole of Advent which takes place through most of the month of December. Each city celebrates "Adventzeit or Weihnachtsziet" in their own way. Many have a little market, ( Christkindlmarkt or Christ child market), composed of stalls that are built in the main public area, often in the courthouse square or the Cathedral square.


Each stall sells some particular item. Some sell Ornaments or handmade gifts. There are also lots of stalls that sell food and drink as well. Favorite foods for sale include crepes, Wurstchen ( Brats in a bun) and flammenkuchen ( a kind of flat bread pizza). The traditional drink of the season is Gluwein.


Gluwein is a
DSC01975DSC01975DSC01975

Christmas festivities in the Dom square. There is lots of eating, drinking and shopping. The Traditional drink is Gluwein. A spiced red wine served hot.
mulled wine. Which to my understanding means that red wine is cooked with, spices, pieces of oranges and cinnamon sticks until just boiling. Then served in steaming mugs. An even stronger drink called Feursangenbowle is made by dripping flaming rum over a block of sugar into a kettle of boiling Gluwein. It is served in a very hot clay pot. No wonder its name translates to fire singing bowl.


All of this feasting, drinking and shopping creates a very festive atmosphere. Adding to the atmosphere is plenty of traditional Christmas music, decorations and even rides for the kids. Some markets have ice skating rinks or even petting zoos. Some have groups of school kids singing traditional carols. A few even have large beautifully decorated Christmas trees at their center.


In Mainz the impressive Mainz Dom towers above the Christmas festivities. It was at this Christkindlmarkt that our story takes place. A few years ago I had the very good fortune to be part of a bus tour that visited 17 Christkindlmarkts during a 2 week period. Mainz was one of the last stops on the tour. So, by the time I got to Mainz I considered
DSC01966DSC01966DSC01966

The wise men bearing gifts.
myself a bit of a Christkindlmarkt expert.


The Mainz market was crowded with shoppers and revelers all enjoying themselves in the shadow of the Dom. It was a large market with plenty of goods and lots of diversions. However, it was what I found tucked away in a dimly lit corner of the market grounds that made the most impact on me.


From outside all that could be seen was a set of icy steps and a metal platform. There was no sign to indicate what the attraction was, and I couldn't imagine what was there. Curious, I climbed the steps and crossed the platform. On the other side, inside a protective structure was the most beautiful nativity scene I have ever witnessed. All of the figures were life size. Lovingly hand sculpted from wood and meticulously hand painted. I stood there in silence for a long time. Tears were running down my cheeks. It seemed as if the scene had come to life. I imagined myself actually there, and it was beautiful.


I was finally persuaded to take a few pictures so that I could relate this story to others. However, the pictures
DSC01964DSC01964DSC01964

Baby Jesus looking radiant and joyous in his manger birthplace.
do not do this subject justice. If you take a moment to imagine yourself present at the adoration of Christ. If you can feel the joy that was present in this humble yet holy place. If you can really feel that joy in your heart then you will know the real spirit of Christmas.

I wish all of you the joy of Christmas and a happy New Year.

Your Friend
Swiss Chris



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

DSC01962DSC01962
DSC01962

Baby Jesus attended by Mary and Joseph. Surrounded by angels, shepherds and wise men.
DSC01970DSC01970
DSC01970

Shepherds and manger animal look upon the scene.
DSC01961DSC01961
DSC01961

Wise men approaching to adore the Christ child.
DSC01963DSC01963
DSC01963

Angels with shepherds and their sheep all witness the scene.
DSC01977DSC01977
DSC01977

Back to the festivities. I now feel the true spirit of Christmas.


24th December 2009

Chris that was really nice. The nativity seen is so beautiful. It must have been wonderful to see it in person.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb