Germany 16 - Cochem /a trip along the Moselle /a night on an stellplatz/vertically challenged tractors /red and white half timbered houses /walnuts


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Cochem
October 17th 2019
Published: October 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early and headed down river following the lovely Moselle. Joined by hundreds of others who were on the river cruise boat. They were spending a holiday on a boat with many others , being fed and watered and being dropped off at any pretty town along the river. Their days spent sitting in their rooms looking out of their picture windows. The Moselle twists its way from Trier to Koblenz. A beautiful waterway which meanders along with many dams and locks along its way. Above the river are the terraced vineyards which cling precariously to the hillsides. Steep sided valleys that look impossible to grow anything. The grape vines run up the hillside and the small red tractors harvest the grapes. The creep slowly down the hillsides . Vertically - it looks impossible for them to harvest the grapes without falling down the hillside . Human collectors are like ants. They climb between the vines starting at the bottom and moving slowly picking the bunches of grapes. I wondered why they started from the bottom of the steep hillside and worked up rather than starting at the top and creeping slowly down. Small rails run up the hillside . Probably used to transport the grapes. Massive signs adorned the hillside shouting out the names of the wines. There was a large amount of parking outside each home or shop ready for visitors to park up and buy the products . Houses of all sizes sold their own wines.

We were heading to Cochem. A largish town with 5000 inhabitants. As we entered we came to the bridge over the river. Silly wanted us to go over the bridge to the other side in order to find parking. Why is it when you realise you are going the wrong way you cannot find anywhere to turn around? In a car easy. In a motorhome you have to drive further to find somewhere you can swing it round in order to return to where you came from.

Cochem is certainly romantic . A castle sits upon the hillside above the town. We crossed the Skagerrak Brucke and found ourselves the car park. We drove up the promenade and found a large car park. The spaces were not that big and would have been a problem for Suzy however Gabby being slightly smaller fitted in to one of the spaces. We parked next to a VW camper and a van so we did not look too out of place. We overhung a little on the grass to the front of us. It only cost a few euros to park for an hour. We walked along the promenade and mingled with the visitors who had disembarked from the boats. And what a lot of them were in Cochem today.

The streets were very narrow and twisting with many tall houses. Alleyways and half timbered houses. All with slate roofs and red half timbering. The streets opened out onto the market place with its wonderful fountains. It was a tourist magnet but there were still quiet corners to explore. Bread and Cake shops selling beautiful bread . It smelled divine and I made a note to buy some different breads and cakes before we left Cochem. We passed through the Medieval gates - the Endert Gate Tower, a guard house dating back to 1332 and Baldwins Gate, Glimpsing through them in the rain we could see people on the battlements of the castle . There were flowers everywhere. Pots filled with geraniums and Impatiens. Pinks, reds and yellows Colour at every corner. It is hard to believe it is October and the flowers still look beautiful .

On our way back to Gabby we stopped off to look at the Rathaus and bought those cakes and bread . We sat for a while watching the boats and eating our lunch.

Our plan after Cochem was to find an stellplatz for the night . We found one initially which had room on it . It was set out over two levels . The top level was pretty full . We parked up down below closer to the water . It was on grass and was next to a tennis club and a swimming pool. I went out in search of someone or something to pay. I found nothing but eventually found someone who knew . 7 euros a night and the guy came round in the evening to collect the money. For some reason we decided not to stay. It was a nice spot but for some reason it didnt hit the spot . We set off for Traban Trabach to try the stellplatz there instead. We found the aire up a grey road . It looked as if it was going nowhere but eventually it opened out to a barrier which we needed to go through to enter the stellplatz. A sign lit up to tell us that there were just 8 spots left . The barrier lifted .We parked sideways alongside the road next to the river on grass. It is always a worry parking a heavy vehicle on grass in the rain but fingers crossed we would be OK. There were some hard standings but we decided to stay where we were. I headed for the office if there was one. There was not but I found the ticket machine. It cost 12 euros to park and the facility had showers and electricity. I pressed a few buttons and a screen came up with a list of number plates . Ours was there . I tapped it and went through the registration process . Then it dawned on me - the machine took only cards. Back to the van , picked up the cards and went back. Through the same process but this time it worked and my ticket shot out. Tomorrow I guess the barrier will recognise we have paid and let us out, After an hour a German knocked on our door . Did I realise I had left my ticket at the machine? No I thought I had it . What I had was the credit card receipt . My ticket was put on the side with a stone on top to save it from blowing away. I wasnt the only one who took the wrong ticket . There was one other there. So someone else got it wrong.

In the evening we went for a walk along the rivers edge . Long gardens ran down to the riverside . No houses just grass and vegetable plots. Then trees . Walnuts all over the ground. I had wondered why people were in the woods with bags picking things up . Now it became clear . Walnuts . I picked a few up and took them home. They cracked easily without a nut cracker . The seam around them was soft . A thin knife between the two halves soon broke them apart . Fresh walnuts picked from the trees . What a treat and a free one at that.

Another wet and cold night spent in front of the TV - Bohemian Rhapsody . A bit different and a wonderful insight on the band Queen.

Tomorrow we head further down the Moselle for another one of these quaint half timbered towns .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb