Healthy Mountain air


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I travelled by train from Halle to Leipzig, changed trains and went to Mainz, changed trains and went to Bad Kreuznach.
There are a vareity of types of trains from regional ones that stop at every station to the ICE variety that are express. You can just turn up at the station and purchase from a ticket booth or pay €3 extra and purchase from an office.
The ICE have dining cars on board and you can take purchases back to your seat, if you are in first class or have a reserved seat with a table they will come around and serve you. €5 bought me a 500ml beer and a meat pattie in a bun.
All along the railway line near the towns and cities are garden plots with small sheds/houses. Some are just vege gardens, others more of a weekend retreat with paddling pools and garden furniture. Bike paths meander along the river banks and all through the landscape with many people using them with picnic and swim stops along the way. Many trains will take your bike without booking.
Sebastian and his Mum Susanne met me at the station and took me to their lovely home set up against the hills and forests of Bad Kreuznach.
This town of 50,000 people is renowned for its healthy mountain air and people come to spend some time here recovering from the stresses of life in various spas and clinics.
All around this area are vineyards with a white burgandy grape being the speciality of the region.
Castles from the 11th century are also dotted around the hills, some being still used for other purposes and others well maintained ruins with walking paths around the various points.
A unique feature of the town is its "saline water structures". There is a German name which I don't know. These are large (3 storey) timber standing structures which have water flowing through rushes and branches with a saline solution added. The water evaporates and the misty air flowing in and around the structure is supposed to be healthy and envigorating. Walkpaths are created alongside these and seats for people to "take in the air"



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Mountain viewsMountain views
Mountain views

View from my room
Railway SceneryRailway Scenery
Railway Scenery

Bike paths
Bridge housesBridge houses
Bridge houses

600 years old or more built on the edge of the bridge overlooking the water
Castle RuinsCastle Ruins
Castle Ruins

This castle is from the 11th century and sits high on the hills overlooking 2 rivers and the surrounding mountains and valleys
Views from the castleViews from the castle
Views from the castle

Another castle in the distance surrounded by vineyards
Windswept viewsWindswept views
Windswept views

Sebastian and me at the lookout
Saline waterSaline water
Saline water

These are huge and create misty moist saline air


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb