BERLIN: Day 3 & 4


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Werne
April 26th 2014
Published: April 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Visiting the Reichstag Building has been one of my favorite experiences of the whole trip thus far. After seeing pictures of the Reichstag in history classes over the years and after hearing story after story of the destruction and the triumph of this famous structure, it has been a place that I have really wanted to visit. But like most things on this trip I got to do more than just look at it. Thanks to Heike, the group and I were all lucky enough to not only go inside but also to tour the glass dome, sit in the Parliamentary Hall, and even speak to a few cabinet members that work in the office of the German Parliament member representing Heike’s district, Dr. Silvia Joerrissen. I had a blast and was so thankful to have the opportunity to pick the brain of the two men who met with us and to ask questions about the interworkings of German Parliament. After teaching Government for the last several months at Apollo High School I was fascinated to hear the similarities and differences between the German government and the U.S. government.

By the time we left the Reichstag Building I was so content with the experience that we could have called it a day and I would have been ok with that, but to my surprise we went from one monumental site to another; the Brandenburg Gate. The Brandenburg Gate is an extremely important site to Berliners and Germans as a whole. This significant structure today symbolizes the reunification of Germany and the freedom that derives as a result. Prior to the collapse of the wall in 1989 this area was inaccessible for both East and West German citizens. When the wall eventually fell in the Fall of 1989 this area was the central hub of reunification. Being in the presence of such a historic landmark was truly a humbling experience.

After leaving the Brandenburg Gate we visited Potsdamer Platz, an area which had been vacant for years but today is filled with a great deal of modern architecture, office buildings, shopping centers, and open beer gardens. The experiences I was able to have today are ones that I will remember for years down the line.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb