Docking in Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
June 7th 2015
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had somewhat of a leisure morning with a lecture on Germany and a class on the German language. Then there was a special champagne pre-lunch for the independent (non-attached) travelers so that we could meet other people to connect with. We sat at a table with a bunch of lovely and funny ladies. It was really fun! We docked in Cologne (Koln in German) in the afternoon and left right away for a tour and beer tasting. Kolsch beer to be exact.

We started walking along the Rhine with a history lesson of which I would do an extremely poor job repeating. We then ended up at the great Cathedral in Cologne, Kolner Dom, with building starting in the 13th century. It is amazing! Both inside and out. It is believed to house some relics from The Three Kings. There was some damage done to it in WWII but on the second day of bombing, the Americans decided not to completely destroy the Cathedral with bombing. Thank God! It is an absolutely beautiful piece of gothic architecture. Cologne is a very diverse city. Many means of transportation; trains, boats, light rails, autos, bikes, taxi bike carts, etc. You see old and new architecture and just amazing people. Mom and I hung out and just watched people for a while. It was actually quite enjoyable.

We also walked by St. Martin's Cathedral (Sankt Martin Kirche)which is nothing to sneeze at. Building started in the 12th century in the Romanesque style. It was turned into a monastery and I honestly can't remember what it is now. My mom said I would soon be saying, "ABC", which means, "Another bloody church"! I'm starting to get it!!

It was a lovely day and tonight we start on our river journey to Koblenz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb